2 versions of Jeepers Creepers?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Jay, May 20, 2004.

1. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

I decided to take the chance on Jeepers Creepers for $7.99 at Circuit City this week, mostly based on the features. I got the DVD in the mail today, and lo and behold, there's a new, non-special edition out, that no sites or any print info has even acknowledged at all. It looks exactly the same as the SE except without the banner on top. The back of the case only has a commentary listed for special features. The disc itself has widescreen and fullscreen versions on it, and indeed, just a commentary. It seems to be double-sided, but there's no data on the opposite side of the disc. The SE is listed at every online retailer and review site, with no mention of a non-SE existing. If I'd have known, I wouldn't have bought it. Anybody else get the shaft on this deal?

2. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I got scammed as well. I had no idea this version of Jeepers Creepers existed. *grumbles*

Oh well, it was cheap. Plus I don't LOVE the movie, I just like it. So I wasn't too pissed. [​IMG]

3. David Jay

Aw, sorry to hear, Jesse. Maybe I'll take it over to the CC store around here soon, say it's defective, maybe get an exchange. I still think it's weird that there's nothing about it, anywhere.

4. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

A promotional memo was circulated to dealers not long ago from MGM regarding JEEPERS CREEPERS. It announced the price drop to $15, but also stated the bonus material on side 2 and the "SE" banner of the initial release would be removed. The catalog and UPC numbers would remain the same, however, which is probably causing problems with some dealers' inventory control.

In fact, the circular mentioned that MGM would be "mixing" the old and new product together for distribution. Pretty dubious if you ask me. MGM probably figures that since the title will now be marked down to well under $10, not many people will notice the change. Except those that order from websites that haven't changed their listings for the title. MGM can then blame the retailers for not paying attention to the memo...even after admitting to mixing the product for distribution. Hmmm...interesting, but not surprising.

Oh, and there were some other 2-sided titles that were also announced to be "reformatted" for price reduction. I can't remember them now, but they were fairly recent releases.

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

FYI - Since I've been on the fence about this title for a while I took advantage of Best Buy's 10% Preferred sale and picked this up. The SE version was priced at 14.99 and the new version at 9.99. The SE priced in at $9.99.. BONUS! So now would be a good time to pick this flick up.

-paul

6. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

That is just flat out crooked. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] to MGM for this despicable policy.

7. David Jay

A couple of days ago, I did the exchange at a local Circuit City. I'd looked at Best Buy, and they only had the non-SE. I went to get another copy at Circuit City, and they had both versions. I compared the two, and both had the same price, price stickers, same item number, even the same exact barcode. Needless to say, I had no problems, and due to the same exact cover (minus the SE banner), and the same barcode, I had no problems exchanging. I hate to sound like a broken record here, but this is a pretty low move for MGM. With their newest Special Edition sets, I was really starting to buy a ton of them, but now I'll exercise a lot more caution when buying MGM.

8. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

damn it MGM some consistency! they were among the worst in the old days. Their improvement in terms of quality was phenomenal. now this and going back on their "all releases will include OAR" statement.

9. Matt_H

Matt_H Stunt Coordinator

ok I saw the SE at circuit City the other day (the last one among the non SE versions) so I bought it without hesitation. I got it for $9.99 so good deal there.

Now here's the thing
    I think I have a third version!
    It's a 2 discer .My question is Wasn't this Disc a Flipper? Because I thought that's what I rented when this first came out. For some reason the disc I bought is two discs but they both have the markings of a flipper(silver on both sides with text around the middle). Did I come upon a rarity or was the original disc like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Matt_H

Matt_H Stunt Coordinator

ok I saw the SE at circuit City the other day (the last one among the non SE versions) so I bought it without hesitation. I got it for $9.99 so good deal there.

Now here's the thing
    I think I have a third version!
    It's a 2 discer .My question is Wasn't this Disc a Flipper? Because I thought that's what I rented when this first came out. For some reason the disc I bought is two discs but they both have the markings of a flipper(silver on both sides with text around the middle). Did I come upon a rarity or was the original disc like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

Thats weird....

12. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

Thats weird....

13. Stu King

Stu King Auditioning

I have the same version with two seperate discs I got mine from amazon.com late last year... Still beats flippers.

-Stu

14. Stu King

Stu King Auditioning

I have the same version with two seperate discs I got mine from amazon.com late last year... Still beats flippers.

-Stu

15. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

It was originally released as a DVD-14 flipper. Then some re-pressings were the 2-disc version (DVD-9 + DVD-5), Probably due to a limitation at the manufacturing plant.

BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE (also MGM) was re-pressed as a 2-disc set, after its initial release as a single DVD-14.

16. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

It was originally released as a DVD-14 flipper. Then some re-pressings were the 2-disc version (DVD-9 + DVD-5), Probably due to a limitation at the manufacturing plant.

BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE (also MGM) was re-pressed as a 2-disc set, after its initial release as a single DVD-14.

17. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

Well I noticed this when I got Legally Blonde. I thought, I've been putting off getting this and then found it for $10, so I decided it would be a great time to get it, then when I got home I noticed that the SE banner was gone and it was only single sided, then I saw that the extras were gone. When I placed the dvd into my dvd profiler, it said it was SE!

And I know this is off subject but, I got Miss Congeniality and on the back of the case it says it has a R rateing which I thought was a little over done and I thought it was only PG-13, when I entered it into dvd profiler it said it was PG-13 and every web-site lited and showed scanes of the case with a PG-13 rateing, anybody notice this?

18. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

Well I noticed this when I got Legally Blonde. I thought, I've been putting off getting this and then found it for $10, so I decided it would be a great time to get it, then when I got home I noticed that the SE banner was gone and it was only single sided, then I saw that the extras were gone. When I placed the dvd into my dvd profiler, it said it was SE!

And I know this is off subject but, I got Miss Congeniality and on the back of the case it says it has a R rateing which I thought was a little over done and I thought it was only PG-13, when I entered it into dvd profiler it said it was PG-13 and every web-site lited and showed scanes of the case with a PG-13 rateing, anybody notice this?

19. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I got the two disc JC as well. Confused me because I didn't think there were enough extras to warrent a four side release. I even tried to play the flip sides just in case. [​IMG]

-paul

20. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I got the two disc JC as well. Confused me because I didn't think there were enough extras to warrent a four side release. I even tried to play the flip sides just in case. [​IMG]

-paul