What's new

2 'lesser quality' subs = 1 'good' sub? (1 Viewer)

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
omg. somebody please tell me if these caps are polarized or not:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=027-444&FTR=027-444

i just assumed that if they werent marked with a + or -, then they could be installed in either direction. now im reading that sometimes they make the positive lead longer than the negative lead.

omg

i might cry if i have to pull them all out and check them

they did not have any markings on them, and i cant figure out anything from the parts express website.

to be clear: do these caps have to be installed in a certain way?

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
im about 85% sure these are not polarized, so im going to move along with the project, but i would still love to hear from somebody soon

from partsexpress description:

" They are ideal for use in loudspeaker crossover networks, or for by-passing large value non-polarized electrolytics."

but i dont know if that means the caps themselves are non polarized, or the stuff they are by-passing is.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
robert,

from looking at the D2 page, the author says an amp with 75 power (i assume per channel) is needed to drive the speakers comfortably. i further assume he was talking about applications where the D2 was being used as mains rather than just surrounds.
so, im guessing if i am using the D2 as surround, the 75 watt recommendation isnt as important? im guessing this because i assume the surrounds just dont need that much power, correct?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
75w is more than enough power for a DII. I'm no where near the limits on my 1014 receiver and I can't hear a thing in my theater room when my wife comes in to scream at me.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
Robert_J said:
Only finish them if you are OCD and it will cause you mental anguish if they are not finished.
That's what I figured. And I am ocd.but I probably won't finish the bottoms.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't lose any sleep over it. It only takes 5 minutes to paint the bottom. You will spend 10 times that laying in bed thinking about it.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
There are several good threads over on the Tech Talk boards at PE about finishing MDF if you feel like doing more reading.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
minor update:

my finishing skills are severely lacking, but i dont feel too bad since i have never done this before. as im putting the color coat on, i see a bunch of flaws that i am sure probably wont be there next time. fortunately, i dont see any flaws(or what i recognize as flaws) on the face of the cabinets. all on back of top or sides.

other side note, my wife thinks a flat black finish without any clear coat will look better. 'will blend in better with their surroundings' apparently.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
gonna try get some pictures up today of the d8

i think i have been listening more to music than watching tv in the past couple weeks or whatever its been. its nice.

can only imagine what its going to be like with the sub(s) and surrounds in place

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator

i dont know why the picture on the right is darker than the left.

i like the flat finish instead of gloss, my wife is smart.

yes, i could tuck the wire behind the curtains, but im lazy

they sound at least as good as the $2000 a pair i heard at bestbuy, so i cant complain :cool:

thanks rob for putting up with all the questions, thanks also to the other contributors

sub(s) center and surrounds up next, all in one shot (i hope)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Awesome looking speakers!!!!

You are one of the few people who have taken my DIY advice and I am happy to answer any question.

my wife is smart
Is she a member here also? Mine also chooses my colors and finishes as well. Otherwise they would always be black.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
hey gang life can be quite busy at times. i thought i had time before to complete my setup, but i was wrong. i think now i really do have the time. probably still going with the dayton 2 for center and surround. going to recheck the thread for what robert suggested for the sub. robert, if there is a newer setup you would recommend, lay it on me sir

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As far as bargains go, these are still great. The DII or DIII will make great centers since they both use the same tweeter as the D8 and the mid-basses are from the same Classic line. The DII has slightly better midrange but the DIII is louder. Subs are constantly changing so we can start fresh.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You should pat yourself on the back there Mike. Those are some of the best looking DIY speakers I've seen in a while. Robert deserves an "atta boy!" as well.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert deserves an "atta boy!" as well.
I pointed Mike in the proper direction. He was 100% responsible for the build. I'm just glad that someone I helped came back with results. I can't count the number of times I've offered help but have no idea how things turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks