What's new

2 channel receiver? (1 Viewer)

John Mil

Agent
Hi guys,

I am a newbie and just listened to and ordered the Paradigm Monitor 11 speakers for a 2 channel set up. At some point I may add a sub. I'm looking for a receiver for these speakers. I just saw a new Denon model on the Crutchfield web site. It's strange that Crutchfield has a write up on this receiver but I can't find it anywhere on Denon's website. It is suppose to be available in late Sept. The model is Denon DRA-397. It puts out 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It has the ipod integration which my wife wants, since all of her music is on an ipod. It's in my price range but I am wondering, would this be enough power for my speakers? My room is a large open family room (15 by 19 feet) with a vaulted ceiling that starts at 9 feet and ends at 15 feet. I will also have my outside deck speakers hooked up to the reciever and will sometimes be playing both sets of speakers at once (parties). Any help would be appreciated!

BruceD

Screenwriter
You might want to check out the Harmon Kardon factory authorized site on ebay!!! HK site

I just purchased an HK 240 AVR (7.1 AV receiver) from them (refurbished but with NEW warranty) for $224. It has the capability to use HK's Ipod bridge adapter (plug in Ipod to charge and play from HK).

They also have HK stereo receivers, but I didn't check to see if they support Ipod

John Mil

Agent
Thanks Bruce. I will check out that site. I'm guessing 80 to 100 watts per channel is enough for my Monitor 11's??

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For a 2ch setup, a solid 100w would be better, but 80w should be adequate. Onkyo also offers stereo receivers that I've used before and they are pretty good also. Some decent deals can be found here, some new, some refurb.

If you are considering a sub, note that there are very few stereo receivers that have bass management (built in crossover) to use with a sub, and some may not have a sub pre-out.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I wouldn't recomend the Onkyo over the H/K. The H/K's are almost always underated. But in this case considering Dave has a Denon up for grabs, I would say go with the Denon.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The Outlaw is awesome, but expensive, and not to mention hard to get.

John Mil

Agent
Thanks a lot everyone! I just checked Outlaw's site and saw their RR2150 receiver that will be out soon. It does look great. I'm assuming that's the one Seth is talking about? It lists for $599. There are 2 magazine reviews on it already. Looks like my budget is going up:)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Yes, that is the one I was refering to. The main problem is they have more orders for them than they can produce, simply amazing.

Forgot to mention this, but the Outlaw has bass management.

John Mil

Agent
So now I have Outlaw as the frontrunner( if I can afford the $600). I'm also considering the Marantz 4021 receiver and the Yamaha rx 797. Both of these run about $450. I heard Rotel has a nice receiver as well, but there are no Rotel dealers near me. The Marantz model say its has "full video switching". Not sure what this means??

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
How about an integrated amp i.e. basically a receiver with no tuner?

Radio is so bad these days personally I use my receiver's tuner only about an hour per *week*. :frowning: And, most FM stations compress their audio signal so badly (so it sounds good in a car or over earbuds) they almost sound like AM radio but with better highs. No wonder so few companies sell component tuners anymore or inlcude good tuner sections in their receivers, which can sound nearly like CD if the broadcasters would do their part.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't seen any integrated amps that have bass management, or even a sub pre-out in recent years. That is one big selling point with the RR2150 in my book. I don't use a sub in my 2ch setup so I am using an integrated and I am extremely pleased with it - Marantz PM7200.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I don't use a tuner anymore at all. In fact the only tuner I have is a pen radio, that I don't use to even write with. In fact were is that tuner pen anyway? Huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks