What's new

2 1/2 way vs. 3 way speakers (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I have decided to buy either the Energy C5s or C7s. The C5s are said to be 2 1/2 way speakers, while the C7s are true three way speakers. What does that mean as far as sound quality is concerned?

The C5s have 2 6.5 inch woofers while the C7s have 3 5.5 inch woofers, and the C7s go just a bit lower. Would the three way factor really mean a big improvement in sound? I imagine the C7s would image better, but with a 55 inch widescreen TV and audio rack in between, I don't think anything would image too well.

The price difference is $250. Thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
are you planning on auditioning them? my own personal opinion is that one should make every effort to listen to speakers in one's home. every effort. did i say that enough? every effort. i see that you live in austin, and i'd imagine there must be quite a few places for you to audition speakers.
assuming for some reason, this is not an option, i can't imagine why either the c5 or c7 shouldn't image well provided you're not sticking them in corners and have little flexibility in their positioning. It is said that c7's design leads to a bit more leeway with regards to room placement.
judging by the price differential, it seems you're just getting 2 speakers. not planning on 5.1 setup or is that down the road? without knowing anything about your listening environment, if you're truly restricted on space, it may be that a sattelite/sub option may be a viable option, giving you flexibility in placement with probably the imaging you're looking for.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

You should of course listen to both extensively before making your decision but I think that you'll be better off with the C-5's.

My Energy dealer does not even bother carrying the C-7's because in his opinion the difference between the 2 is marginal and anyone looking for a BIG tower with deeper bass extension should be looking at the C-9's anyway.

BTW-I have the C-9's and I love 'em! Good luck.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of PSB speakers that are 2 1/2 way. That just means that the two 6.5" drivers fire simultaneously for the lower bass tones. The PSB's sound amazing working in that manner. I doubt that there is much of an advantage in a true 3-way design; indeed, the 3-way speakers would have a larger bass driver and take up more floor space (if that is a concern).

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what kind of knowledge you have of crossovers. But I wrote out my level of understanding in them for the primer/faq Vince started a while back:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...602#post523602
If you have very little knowledge of crossovers give it a read.
As for which is better, let your ears decide. Both are complicated networks. The crossover network is the true heart of any multiway loud speaker. Which speaker will sound better will depend on which crossover was designed better.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Dustin,

That's a great article! A really good read! I already knew that stuff but you really explained it well. Good job.

The only thing I can add to this thread is that build quality is a tad more important in a true 3 way as the three drivers need to be seperated internally due to phase issues. It is my understanding that a 2 1/2 way design does not need mid/bass drivers sealed off from each other. Can someone please confirm or elaborate on this for me? Thanks.

- Mike

jad

Agent
I believe that both the c5 and c7 are 2 1/2 ways. The c7 uses small drives but has 2 for the bass. The mid driver on all their towers still have to do the bass.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Dustin:
Your site states
The HP will start to attenuate a little above 2000hz and the LP will start to attenuate a little below 2000hz so that the two filters will sum correctly.
Isn't that backwards? That is, the HP should attenuate below 200Hz, while the LP should attenuate above.
If I'm mixed up, please (1) explain, and (2) accept my apologies.
Thanks...
Larry

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You had me worried I made a big boo boo there. But no that is what I intended to say. That portion of the article is trying to get across the fact that the attenuation of the signals does not start for both filters right at the crossover point. For a 2000hz crossover point, the HP will begin its' attenuation of the lower frequencies at some point above 2000hz while the LP will begin its' attenuation of higher frequencies at some point below 2000hz. If they both started their attenuation right at 2000hz, when the two signals were summed a hump would result. With the attenuations starting a little above and below, the two signals can sum flat, when done right.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
The crossover on both speakers is 2kHZ. Thre is only a slight difference in bass extension. Please see specs:
http://www.energy-speakers.com/conno...ers1_spec.html
The specs are VERY similar. Almost makes the C5s a no-brainer. I think I will go with the C5s and save $200 that I can use later when Energy releases the CC3 center with matching 6.5 inch woofers.
Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks