What's new

1st & Ten: The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Did anyone else pick this up today from Wal-Mart?

I was a kid in the 80s and vaguely remembered this show, and I remembered how funny it was, so I picked it up.

Thankfully, and unfortunately, the discs are double-sided. Not sure about single or dual-layered, though.

The unfortunate part is the way that the discs are packaged. There are 3 slim-cases in the box, and each slim case holds two discs. If you move the case around too much, you could end up with scratches on the discs. I would recommend not doing the loose disc check, and then placing a soft cloth or tissue paper in each slim-case to prevent the discs from rubbing. They are placed one on each side; think of the case as a book. The left "page" has a disc, and the right "page" has one, too.

Now, onto the discs:

I've only seen episodes 1 and 2 for now. The discs have a nice, simple menu with episode selection, and the opening video and theme song playing on the side of the screen.

The image quality is what I expected for such an old show. It's OK. Colors seem to be fine, and the picture is a little soft from the old age, and there's scratches and such on the film. Also, when there is "game footage," which was shot on video, the video looks the worst. But it's definitely watchable.

The audio is clear and always audible. Presented in Dolby 2.0.

I have a few questions for those who are familiar with the show:

Was there a laugh track in the show? There is in this set... well, at least the first two episodes (all that I've seen so far).

Also, the shows run about 22 minutes each. At first, I was wondering if these episodes are cut, but I'm not sure. There's nudity and foul language in the episodes that is not censored. Also, from what I remember, HBO used to show short movies, music videos, and such between programs. Perhaps that explains the missing 8 minutes, since HBO doesn't show commercials.

Also, every few minutes, a scene will fade out, as if they were going to commercial. Was that part of the original show? As I said, the nudity and language are intact, so it's confusing.

Overall, you can't go wrong for the price! 80 episodes... the whole series... for $19.96!

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting to see some reviews on this set and the picture quality of the episodes given how many are on each disc. I have a bad feeling that the old phrase "You get what you paid for" will apply to this set....

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I looked at the back of the package on my break (Yes, I work at Wal-Mart...sorry) and it said something along the lines of "some scenes may have been changed". I don't know if that's related to music or combined masters from both the HBO and syndicated versions.

I was only in elementary school when the show ended so I can't really tell.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I would like to purchase this, though.

John Zichterman

Auditioning
I cannot believe what a disappointment the "1st & Ten" DVD set is! I remember the show from HBO quite well. In fact, I have several episodes on Beta, and I have the original VHS release "1st & Ten: The Team Scores Again" (Vestron Video, 1985).

Comparing episodes from the VHS to those found on the DVD set, I've discovered that only a few of the 80 episodes on the DVD are the original 26- to 27-minute HBO broadcasts. Most episodes are the 22-minute syndicated versions, sans nudity and language! (Example: the opening shower scene is missing from "Play Me or Trade Me" - great, fun scene, "lost" forever because of this substandard DVD release.)

I've also discovered that many of the episodes across all six seasons have had both the opening and closing credits replaced. The opening is a generic piece, apparently produced for syndication, that replaces the classic Fran Tarkington intro. The closing credits roll is a generic "Copyright 1991" roll over basic blue (the HBO version always had credits roll over scenes from the episode).

Very disappointed.

-- Zack

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
John Z, thanks for the extra information.

I'm guessing that maybe there are some "combined" masters like you said. Because the first 2 episodes that I saw had foul language and such, but only ran 22 minutes.

I wonder if the individual season releases will be uncut. In that case, I'll definitely pick those up too.

Still, I'm happy with my purchase. Decent quality A/V and it only costs 25 cents an episode.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

I recently transferred my HBO masters and almost all episodes from the first 2 seasons originally ran between 26-29 minutes. There was even one that ran 32 minutes.

The last couple of seasons originally started coming in at 22-23 minutes (depending if you want to count the "Last on 1st & Ten" episode recap).

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
You have original HBO broadcasts, Jeff? Lucky man...

Did they have a laugh track on them? Or was that something that was added at a later time?

Haden

Supporting Actor
Guess I'll pass on this. I was tempted to get the set for nostalgic reasons because I haven't seen this series since it first aired on HBO, but even at such a cheap price I'm not going to settle for family-friendly syndicated crap. As I recall, some of the best humor was the raunchy stuff.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Well, this set is a mixed bag. I do recall seeing some breasts and hearing some cussing in these DVD episodes... so I'm really confused.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I remember this series well. I wanted to get this set but these posts are most discouraging. Looks like I have to pass on this.

Now if they would only release the next seasons of Dream On.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
This set is a tough one to peg. I ordered it from Walmart when I first heard it was available, and received it earlier this week. Then I heard about the edits.

My first reaction was to send it back. And if I had a Walmart near me I might have brought it back already. But after mulling it over a bit, I think I'm just going to keep the set. It's 80 episodes, the entire series, for $20. From people who have seen the DVD's, there are edits, but it's not like all of the nudity and raunchiness have been removed. Also, this series really means nothing to me. I'm not justifying the edits at all, but just imho, I'll watch this series for fun, not critical viewing.

So, the end result is, this will stay in my collection.

Jim Saunders

Agent
I actually paid like $16.98 yesterday. I didnt even know the show was being released, but when I saw what it was a hell of a deal.

After reading about the cuts here and on DVD Talk Forum, I'm gonna keep it.

I'm guessing HBO doesnt own the rights to the show, otherwise we would be seeing $40+ unedited season sets. I'm fine with having the entire series for what I paid.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I got the set today.

The first thing I did was put on episode one of season 5, the season I remember the most. It opened with Morton Downey Jr (anyone remember him?) using the F word, and a brief nude scene (not of Morton, thankfully). So, it was unedited. Several other 5th season eps are unedited as well.

But, in going though the discs (mainly just fastforwarding), the majority are edited (Note: if the episode runs 22:24 as a large portion do, they are edited).

But there is really no way to figure out why this was done. Each side of each season may have every episode edited, or every other episode edited, or none edited (I think only that first side of season 5 is uncut, I may be wrong).

Some of the edits are kind of funny. In one, the team is staring in the cheerleaders locker room, a la Porkys. The edit has them looking at the same footage of a woman's naked back. They keep cutting back to the same 3 second shot while they talk.

Somewhere I have the old Vestron VHS of the first few episodes. I bought it used at a video store. I also have a few of the 5th season episodes that were released on VHS in the mid 90's (after OJ was in the news). Although I haven't watched any of those since buying them.

Still, for $20, it is worth picking up. If you only count the unedited episodes, per episode it still runs less than most TV on DVD sets.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If season sets ARE found on shelves, then they won't be any different or more "uncut" than those episodes found in the "complete series" release. Those versions are all Tango has.

I've heard that Best Buy at the least has bullied (er, convinced) Tango into letting them sell the same complete series product that Wal-Mart "exclusively" got, instead of the season sets. So perhaps the season sets aren't getting made after all.

I've been swamped at my full-time job, though, and I don't have spare time to call Tango and find out. They know I'm interested in their slate, and they know how to contact me but haven't, so I guess they're not interested in getting the word out about their products. :shrug:

(Gord thinks they're pissed as us because we haven't beaten around the bush about how crappy the quality is on some of their products, like Gun for instance. Then I guess they'll be pissed at the world, because I haven't heard anyone disagree! :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks