What's new

1970's tv show Family (1 Viewer)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't recall 'Family' ever being a heavily-syndicated show. I haven't seen it anywhere in decades.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Dave you are quite right. It was syndicated here in Chicago right after it went off the air in 1980. 1993 it showed up again here and then Lifetime picked it up. Really having fun watching it again. Those great Sony copies as I have said can be had from Germany as well as the new release. I purchased box 2 because if you own the Sony episodes you do not need box 1 of this new best of release.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just finished the German release of Family this weekend. I want to state something first. I can no way come close to those gifted writers who review countless things here on HTF. Now with that out of the way I will try to state in brief words what I thought of the release.

Box 2 of Family is Great! I enjoyed it all. There is one repeat episode from season two as Sony calls the first real season from their box set release. The rest of the episodes are new and from season 3 and then only 2 episodes from the start of season 4 when Annie joins the Lawrence household.

The audio drops English for about the first 2 minutes of almost all the shows and about 1 minute of dialog at the end of some episodes. You are given English subtitles when this happens. Picture quality IS WAY above a VHS tape but not quite up to what Sony put out on their DVD set.

I only wish the States would put out a best of set like this. Perhaps they will if the German one sells in large enough numbers to make them decide to do it. I wish Shout would take a look at the show.

I hope this information gives folks who love this show some idea of what the German release is like.

Mark

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Remember if you wish to purchase the German release of Family you can do so right here on Amazon USA. Read the above posts that I made for the information.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
What a great show and is celebrated as the 40th anniversary this year. You can watch the first full season but the rest is not there except from Germany the second year.

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The show followed Rich Man Poor Man book 2. What a great TV series which so many have forgot.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the German release of Family this weekend. I want to state something first. I can no way come close to those gifted writers who review countless things here on HTF. Now with that out of the way I will try to state in brief words what I thought of the release.

Box 2 of Family is Great! I enjoyed it all. There is one repeat episode from season two as Sony calls the first real season from their box set release. The rest of the episodes are new and from season 3 and then only 2 episodes from the start of season 4 when Annie joins the Lawrence household.

The audio drops English for about the first 2 minutes of almost all the shows and about 1 minute of dialog at the end of some episodes. You are given English subtitles when this happens. Picture quality IS WAY above a VHS tape but not quite up to what Sony put out on their DVD set.

I only wish the States would put out a best of set like this. Perhaps they will if the German one sells in large enough numbers to make them decide to do it. I wish Shout would take a look at the show.

I hope this information gives folks who love this show some idea of what the German release is like.

Mark

Are they uncut and complete or are they the 44 minute versions which was all Sony ever offered the show as in syndication?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Family is back on the air today. Watching it right now on decades. Decades is celebrateing Emmy award series. Monday is Forever episode is playing. Will play twice more 12 midnight ET and 6 AM ET time. Just for today. Me TV and Decades are releated so I am hoping this means Family is now going to be put back on the air. For the series that air on Decades are always on METV.

The show looks great! I really hope this means a METV airing.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
From what I have been told Family will begin to air on Thursdays on Decades. LBS still has the broadcast rights and Sony still owns the show. Thursdays Child was the first episode Monday is Forever which I watched they showed today. Right and Proper Goodbye is next. I do not see the show on Decades schedule. All I can say was I was told the show would begin airing on Thursdays. Do not hold me to it if it does not happen.

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy 40th Anniversary to Family on October 6th it's first real season after the mini series that launched it. What a great show and I wish Shout or some company would pick it up from Sony.

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Lawrence I was going by the IMDB which which states it as October 6th today LOL!!! The show aired Tuesdays at 9 which the 6th was a Wednesday back in 76. IMDB must be wrong then because the 28th fell on a tuesday.

Happy Anniversay Family.

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Mark

I've asked this several times already in this forum. Since you went through the German set 2 release, can you please give an answer as to the running times of the episodes? Are they the US pre-cut 44 minute shows or are they complete?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've asked this several times already in this forum. Since you went through the German set 2 release, can you please give an answer as to the running times of the episodes? Are they the US pre-cut 44 minute shows or are they complete?

He hasn't been on this forum for a year. If he wanted to answer you, he would have long ago.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
He hasn't been on this forum for a year. If he wanted to answer you, he would have long ago.

Great. And he's the only one who bought the set that's on here I guess. Not going to chance it as I already have all of the episodes from syndication at 44 minutes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Great. And he's the only one who bought the set that's on here I guess. Not going to chance it as I already have all of the episodes from syndication at 44 minutes.

I'm interested in buying the sets also. I get my region free player next month so chances are I'm getting them this year yet. I'll report back when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks