What's new

1970's tv show Family (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is another show that has had some interest of late by 70s fans. I asked around but know one seems to know anything about a release yet of the entire series. I wish Sony would do something with it.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Jimmy thanks for the welcome and I hope you are right. There is a cool FB page for the series where lots of fans are posting.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is the one show I always pull out for Mothers and Fathers day. While watching the great TCM Schedule.

The two seasons Sony put out is really just the mini series and the fist season. The show is very much of it's time but has timeless qualities to it. To bad CBS did not spring for this show along with the other Spelling shows. Family Spelling always said was the one he was most proud of.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Mark Collins said:
This is the one show I always pull out for Mothers and Fathers day. While watching the great TCM Schedule.

The two seasons Sony put out is really just the mini series and the fist season. The show is very much of it's time but has timeless qualities to it. To bad CBS did not spring for this show along with the other Spelling shows. Family Spelling always said was the one he was most proud of.

Since Family is a product of Spelling/Goldberg, it would fall under Sony, like Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, and Fantasy Island.

I am also hoping for a release of this show by Shout!.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Mark Collins said:

I remember watching this show only sporadically during it's first run...but was very impressed by it's quality...I'd love to have the whole series on dvd and hope Shout could do it...

The lasting impression I have in remembering Family was in talking to some foster kids who resided in a group home in my neighbourhood...young teens from very tragic and disadvantaged and broken homes...they told me that Family was their favourite show...thinking about that afterward, I realised that it was likely the beautiful depictions of a solid working class father and mother...something these kids had never known for themselves...and had suffered their whole young lives in not having...

It is a show very much of it's time, but as you say, timeless in it's themes...and satisfyingly affecting in it's genuine presentation...

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Randall what a great story. I sure hope you are right and this show does get picked up by some company. Sony has taken a long time for more release's. I would pick up a whole series release if they would do it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just happened to see John Rubinstein tonight in the national touring company of Pippin. Rubinstein who played the Lawrence's son-in-law in Family (married to Meredith Baxter-Birney's character) originated the title role in Pippin in 1972 and is now in the touring company playing Pippin's father, King Charlemagne.

I hope Shout hears an earful from the fans of this show.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I hope for a release next year. The 40th anniversary of the show would be a good time. Fans do need to let Shout know they want the series or it will not come out. Do as Mike states and make a concentrated effort to get a release of this show from Shout Factory.

The fact is there are fans for this show. The fans are just not getting together and demanding a release.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just a reminder to fans of Family. The 40th anniversary of the show is March 9th. I wish Shout would pick it up and give fans the last episodes of this great show. The show replaced Marcus Welby for it's sort of mini series debut and then went to a full season in the fall of 1976. Those episodes have been released by Sony and may still be able to be had on Amazon.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
By looking at the previews box 2 seems to have the later unreleased episodes. I see 3 or 4 episode video clips at least from season 3 and 4 in volume 2 or box 2. I did not see the Fonda episode in the Video clips. I do not want to mislead anyone about what titles of unreleased episodes are on that second volume. Volume 1 or box 1 did not have any new scenes in the video clips from box 1. Just the same episodes that were released in the past from Sony.

I will wait and see what more information comes if any about this German release. Such as a complete episode list of the 14 titles for each of the two box sets. I would like to know how many unreleased episodes are among this two box 28 episode release. I was thinking of buying an all region player. Not just for Family but for some movies too. I think I shall wait on that as well.

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well I did a 180 took the leap and ordered Family box 2 where the unreleased episodes save 1 are only located. The complete set of season's 1 and two released from Sony which was released in the States combined with Box 2 will add 13 more episodes to my collection. I ordered from Amazon USA. I have waited 10 years for a release of more episodes. I still think a US release is down the pike. Perhaps from Sony or even Shout.

I will report here after I view the episodes which will be many weeks from now.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to wait and see if Germany does anything with seasons 3, 4 & 5. Unfortunately when Family was sydicated in the 80s, it was only offered as a barter deal as 44 minute pre-cut tape. So it didn't matter what market you were in, unlike with other series, you couldn't get unbutchered episodes.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I did receive my Family episodes from Germany. They cover the best of season 3 and 4 in box or volume 2. I hope they will release the rest of 4 and 5. Volume 1 box 1 covers season 1 and 2. Germany also still sells the Sony box set too. Very happy with them. You need an all region player to play them.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
That's what I'd like to know. Are they the 44 minute versions, which are all Sony ever had on tape or are they complete?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks