What's new

1970's tv show Family (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Henry Gale said:
Don't think I'll play your game. You were the one engaging in reckless hyperbole.
Aaron's half century career included Playhouse 90, Studio 57 and many other programs that you're probably too young to recall.
He wrote exactly ONE Playhouse 90 and the only thing he had to do with Studio 57 (which I have many of and wasn't that great a show) was as a bit part actor. He made a lot of shows that a lot of people liked, just like McDonalds has made a lot hamburgers. In neither case does quantity equal quality. Just like there's nothing wrong with liking McDonalds, you can't call it fine dining. And if you happen to like the shows he did, that's also fine, but don't confuse popularity with quality. They are not the same.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I'm gonna buy this and check it out... Herskovitz & Zwick (responsible for quality shows like thirtysomething, My So-Called Life, Once & Again) wrote some episodes of Family. That's good enough for me. :) I think they'll cancel out Aaron Spelling. ;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Michael Alden said:
He wrote exactly ONE Playhouse 90 .....
Michael,
Let me apologize right now. We’ve been sending notes back and forth here and it only just dawned on me that I have a really high reading comprehension rate.
Henry

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Henry Gale said:
Michael,
Let me apologize right now. We’ve been sending notes back and forth here and it only just dawned on me that I have a really high reading comprehension rate.
Henry
Apology accepted. I can see how you may have forgotten that if you've been spending a lot of time watching Spelling shows. They can do that to you.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
We can't be bashing the king of tv mr. spelling a few days after his death heh
Ok sure his shows are not masterpiece theatre but for most part they were all pretty entertaining and thats all he set out to do. It was a winning formula and he owned the airwaves for a long time :)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Anybody know which stores will be selling this? It's not up at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Sept 5 isn't that far off.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Thanks so much for the link. This show has been one of my "most wanted" and I can't wait to get it!

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
other than kristy mcnichol and meredith baxter birney. I don't remember seeing the other 3 actors that much after Family left the air. speaking of sada thompson.james broderick and gary frank.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
Sada Thompson made guest appearances on a number of prime-time series as well as returning to do work on Boradway. James Broderick died 2 years after the show ended. Gary Frank continued to do various guest shots and still appears periodically in TV and theatrical films.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching the Pilot episode of "Family" (by way of the very nice 6-Disc DVD set that came out on 09/05/2006). I've seen many of these episodes previously, but I don't recall ever having seen the Pilot program, which co-stars Elayne Heilveil in the part of "Nancy".
The Pilot episode for "Family" is simply fabulous, as it does a perfect job of introducing us to the Lawrence "family". I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this Pilot. Everybody in the cast, from Sada Thompson right on down the line, is just perfect.
DVD video quality looks mighty good too.
Some "Did You Know?" trivia for this TV show --- I was surprised to learn that some of the original music for "Family" was created by Pete Rugolo and John Rubinstein. (Rubinstein played Nancy's husband in various episodes throughout the series; while Rugolo is probably best known for the music he created for "The Fugitive".)
Also: Joanne Woodward directed at least one "Family" episode. I hadn't realized that tidbit of information either.
htf_imgcache_1111.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1112.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1113.jpeg

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, David for the early info on this one. Mine's in the mail. It was a favorite of mine in the 70's. I didn't know that trivia stuff either. I don't remember the pilot but I think I saw it when it aired. Should bring back the memory when I watch the DVD.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I've seen many of these episodes previously, but I don't recall ever having seen the Pilot program, which co-stars Elayne Heilveil in the part of "Nancy".
Yea Elayne plays nancy in the pilot and the 5 season one episodes. Meredith didn't show up till season 2. I have been watching the set for about a week now just a all around fantastic show.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David VP said:
Some "Did You Know?" trivia for this TV show --- I was surprised to learn that some of the original music for "Family" was created by Pete Rugolo and John Rubinstein. (Rubinstein played Nancy's husband in various episodes throughout the series; while Rugolo is probably best known for the music he created for "The Fugitive".)
Hey Dave...
Rubinstein has quite a pedigree. The son of reknown pianist Arthur Rubinstein, John appeared in many important theatrical productions along with his TV & film work. He originated the role of Pippin (for which he won the Theater World Award)and he also won a Tony for Children of a Lesser God. He also appeared in Ragtime, Kiss of the Spider Woman and Sondheim's Merrily We Roll Along.
Besides the music for Family, Rubinstein also wrote the theme to China Beach.
I had forgotten he was in Family. He was all over TV in the 70s and 80s.
VERY glad to hear the quality of the set is good. Hope this one's sales keep the seasons coming.
Rubinstein is the tall guy in the back!
htf_imgcache_1112.jpeg

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Watching this show again just reinforced what a wonderful show it was. The writing and acting were stellar. This time around I was most impressed with Kristy McNichol's portrayal of Buddy and with how much sibling chemistry she had with Gary Frank as brother Willie. Kristy truly was a gifted child actress, something I didn't realize the first time around (when I was too young to recognize such a thing). So glad, though, that they replaced Elayne with Meredith. I think she made a far better Nancy.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Jeff Willis said:
Can anyone confirm that this set is an un-cut (video scenes) set? I'm guessing that it is but I was curious.
I just watched the pilot this morning and yes, it is complete and uncut, coming in at roughly 50 minutes. I haven't watched this show in a long time and I'm anxious to see more of them. I tell you, the thing that I find most enjoyable about shows like this compared to the stuff now, is not the lack of camera tricks, not the lack of idiotic pop culture references, but the absence of god awful treacly pop songs. It is so nice to be able to watch a program with a nicely written underscore instead of hearing these awful modern pop tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks