What's new

1960s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
And I must ask again (as I don't remember whether it was answered the first time): HOW LONG is the voting period? Is it still on, has it ended, is it indefinite? I thought the survey was commissioned by Fox, which meant a certain number of votes would be taken in a certain amount of time, the results tabulated and processed, and a decision reached from the data. If it's on through the end of February before we get all those John Wayne movies, I'll keep voting, but, y'know...I remember the days of PetitionOnline. :rolleyes:

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
bujaki said:
My write-in votes have been for Sons and Lovers and The Innocents. Otherwise, have consistently voted for Two for the Road.
The Innocents is an absolute classic which I'm shocked hasn't been released on BD in the US yet. And Sons and Lovers isn't available at all, which is surprising because I believe it won several Oscars.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's no big favorites for me in the 60's list. I keep voting for The Agony & The Ecstasy, at least it should look terrific.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Sons and Lovers was nominated for 7 Oscars, including Best Picture, Director, Actor and Supporting Actress, and winning for Best Cinematography in B&W (Freddie Francis). It tied with The Apartment for Best Picture and Director in the New York Film Critics Circle Awards. It also has a beautiful score by Mario Nascimbene. The Innocents was also photographed by Freddie Francis. Jack Clayton, the director, was nominated by the DGA for his work, and the film was recognized at Cannes, BAFTA, NBR and WGA. I believe it to be the second best ghost story ever filmed, top honor going to The Uninvited (1944). All three are long overdue for BD transfers in the USA.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by bujaki
Sons and Lovers was nominated for 7 Oscars, including Best Picture, Director, Actor and Supporting Actress, and winning for Best Cinematography in B&W (Freddie Francis). It tied with The Apartment for Best Picture and Director in the New York Film Critics Circle Awards. It also has a beautiful score by Mario Nascimbene.
The Innocents was also photographed by Freddie Francis. Jack Clayton, the director, was nominated by the DGA for his work, and the film was recognized at Cannes, BAFTA, NBR and WGA. I believe it to be the second best ghost story ever filmed, top honor going to The Uninvited (1944).
All three are long overdue for BD transfers in the USA.
IMO, neither is as good as the original "The Haunting", but both of them are very worthy films. I have the Region B BD of "The Innocents" and just this weekend I finally go around to viewing the Region 2 DVD release of "The Uninvited".
Crawdaddy

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Robert, Did you see either The Innocents or The Uninvited on the big screen with an audience? I did, and people were very, very scared. Thanks for reminding about The Haunting, another very worthy and scary film, which I also saw with an audience. Definitely, top three.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by bujaki
Robert,
Did you see either The Innocents or The Uninvited on the big screen with an audience? I did, and people were very, very scared.
Thanks for reminding about The Haunting, another very worthy and scary film, which I also saw with an audience. Definitely, top three.
I never viewed either of those films beyond a few people in my family growing up. I never said neither wasn't scary, but they didn't have as intense as scary scenes as The Haunting. Also, I did see The Haunting with my family in a movie theater back in 1963, and remember my sister squeezing my arm more than a couple of times, especially during one particular scene with Elenor and Theo.
Crawdaddy

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Robert Crawford said:
I never viewed either of those films beyond a few people in my family growing up.  I never said neither wasn't scary, but they didn't have as intense as scary scenes as The Haunting.  Also, I did see The Haunting with my family in a movie theater back in 1963, and remember my sister squeezing my arm more than a couple of times, especially during one particular scene with Elenor and Theo. Crawdaddy
Your story reminds me of the first time I saw The Innocents, back in '62. I watched it in the company of a pregnant cousin who wanted to leave because she felt she might give birth right then and there, that's how scared she was. A friend told me how she was digging her nails into the arm rest. At a later screening, in the early '90s in Dallas, at one point the audience let out a scream. That's how powerful the film's hold was. I did not see The Haunting until 1974, at MOMA, and it was very effective. Actually, it had the better director! Isn't it amazing how wonderfully scary these B&W movies are? And how they manage to scare you without any gore and cheap tricks? These artists did not pander to their audiences.

FremenDar

Grip
Real Name
Fremen Dar
Chose either Two for the Road or How to Steal a Million as of late. Sometimes but rarely Morituri and then The 300 Spartans.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Just a heads up that we are in the final two weeks of voting. I was able to get a peek at some of the raw numbers (sorry I can't share) and in several decades the first and second place titles are less than 200 votes apart, so every vote counts at this stage. Make sure you vote daily for the film you want to win in each decade!

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
With North to Alaska's victory seemingly certain, my support has been going to The Agony and the Ecstasy. We need more widescreen epics from this era on Blu.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
t1g3r5fan said:
With North to Alaska's victory seemingly certain, my support has been going to The Agony and the Ecstasy. We need more widescreen epics from this era on Blu.
MattH. said:
I've been voting Two for the Road for weeks now. No appreciable effect, sad to say.
I agree. Like I've said before, the two John Wayne titles should be on the release schedule already. They are a surefire profit for the studio. Agony and the Ecstasy and Two For the Road should both be released as part of this series. Although I enjoy the two Wayne titles, they are not quite the classics that this collection should be including.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Looks like North to Alaska is safely going to take this one, but Fox is looking closely at the totals so you never know what else could be released. Just two more days so get your votes in!

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
Read on DigitalBits that BEDAZZLED has a BD release from Fox/AnchorBay on May 28th. This film did poorly in the voting, did it not?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
larryKR said:
Read on DigitalBits that BEDAZZLED has a BD release from Fox/AnchorBay on May 28th. This film did poorly in the voting, did it not?
For some reason I think this is the 2000 remake they are announcing.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by ahollis
Originally Posted by larryKR
For some reason I think this is the 2000 remake they are announcing.
It is the 2000 release. Anchor Bay is releasing a bunch of "modern" Fox catalog titles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks