1960s: What Titles Did You Vote For?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I voted for THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE. I love Maggie Smith and have only seen the film once, on TV, so I'd love to experience it on Blu...

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Bandolero! Hard not to love a movie with a cast of Jimmy Stewart, Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Raquel Welch, Andrew Prine, Denver Pyle, Sean McClory, and Grandpa Walton (Will Geer)

3. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Per a knowledge Barbra Streisand fan website, Barbra Archive this will be released this year along with Funny Girl, Funny Lady, The Way We Were, and A Star is Born ( already announced) . Some of these are going to Twilight Time.

4. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Wait, that IS Raquel Welch next to John Wayne in the top graphic, isn't it? :P Wondered about that.

5. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Did a "Write in" vote for THE BLUE MAX.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Noach-
    I am not speaking on behalf of Fox at all, but in our discussions with them leading up to today here are some of the things that we heard about why titles were selected for inclusion:
    · Feedback from HTF members on titles they would like released on Blu-ray
    · Titles with digital restoration (complete or in progress)
    · Star power
    · Award wins and nominations
    · Diversity of titles from different genres and years
    Anyone of these may or may not apply to the titles on your list. The good news is the studios (and not just Fox) pay attention to the titles members discuss here. If you haven't already I recommend you list those titles in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/

7. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

North to Alaska is the only thing that interests me in that list.

8. Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C Second Unit

Since Fox saw fit to include a write-in box, I saw fit to utilize it. If nothing else, it may draw their attention to titles for future consideration. Also, I must have missed the part about how this thread is ONLY for votes cast on the studio-selected titles.

9. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    Lot of good choices. Voted for Can Can, even though I've never seen it! Maybe because I've never seen it. Agony & Ecstasy looks great as a film. Unfortunately the movie was made a couple of decades before they cleaned the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and so the painting is a bit dirty. In other words, the brilliant bright colors that we now know Michelangelo used, and which are so important to this fresco, are simply not seen. It's a good movie, but flawed for me in that important way.

10. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

It underwent further restoration, after the dvd? 'Cause the dvd used poor elements; that's all they had at the time.

11. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    I voted for How to Steal a Million over Two for the Road, I know the film isn't perfect but I watched Two for the Road when it was finally released on DVD years back and was surprised how much I didn't care for it. That being said I'm older now and shockingly enough I would buy it when / if it is released on Blu. Same with many of the titles mentioned. My brain is stuck right now when it comes to FOX titles by decade esp the 1970's however when the 1970's goes up The Driver is a release I would love, especially since I read that a new restored print has been shown around in the past year-ish.
    It isn't listed buy Valley of the Dolls needs a Blu release so they might as well do Beyond the Valley of the Dolls also. The old Studio Classics DVD line on those cases slipcovers were so well done. Stars and Strips Forever that FOX released to BLU had a wonderful SlipBox Style case and that is what FOX should do with the Studio Cinema Classics line.

12. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Screenwriter

Koroush Ghazi
    My choice was a split between North to Alaska and Let's Make Love. I really enjoy both movies, but ultimately I decided for Let's Make Love.

13. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Yeah, what Kenneth said. They've included a write-in box for each decade so why shouldn't the write-in titles be discussed? Write ins may very well result in titles put forth for a secnd wave if there ever is one.
    As for me, I wrote in STAR! (I know there's not much love for it but I'm a sucker for Julie Andrews in Todd-AO)

14. Guest

I know the title I wanted wouldnt win the most awards but I would have liked Hand of Death 1961 :D

15. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard

16. John Doe

John Doe Stunt Coordinator

aki jebivetar
    How to Steal a Million

17. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I have a feeling that some of these titles are on the more marginal list. In other words, for some titles, they did so well on DVD that Fox has already decided on a blu ray release. I am hoping that some of my favorites (Mark of Zorro, In Old Chicago, My Darling Clementine) fall into that category.

18. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Star! is a great choice also.

19. Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski Second Unit

Noach Kowalski
    Thx Adam! You 've been very helpful.

20. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Yeah, saw that later. ;) Up to the point, most of the wish-list posts had been simply "I want/voted for (X)!" without mentioning list vote or write-in vote, which, as I said, suggested the Monday-morning "I want (neat stuff onlyi I've heard of)!", which can take a thread over quickly. (Usually in the Criterion threads, when a company waves a magic genie-lamp in front of disk fans and asks for their wish.) As long as we have the wish-lists votes clearly marked, and next to the regular votes, we're fine. In fact, I may need suggestions--I looked over my own DVD shelf, and there wasn't much Fox there that needed upgrading, apart from the R&H musicals, the 70's classics, and two or three titles that have already shown up for official voting. Good thing we still have the rest of the month.