What's new

1960's Batman tv shows on DVD? (1 Viewer)

John Moral

Auditioning
Dear Friends
knd regards
I am very happy to be a new member of this theatre forum and would like to thank you all for looking at this post.
I was wondering if anyone had any news about when or if the 120 episodes of the Batman tv are ever going to be released on DVD?
If I may be permitted to be blunt I will now take this fine opportunity to question why 20th century fox has abandoned this idea or has never taken it into consideration.
EVERYONE that I speak too loves the old 1960's Batman tv show starring Adam West and Burt Ward.
I have the Batman movie on DVD but what about the TV shows?
if you have any news on this issue I'd appreciate it.
yours thankfully
John

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, John. FYI, the DVD Etc. section is for discussing stories and reviews in the magazine with the editors and writers. This is where you ask questions related to DVDs.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
It's been talked about a lot here actually and the situation doesn't look good. I believe it was Ron Epstein who last had a chance to ask about Batman on DVD. Basically, Fox and Warner are having some sort of dispute over the rights to Batman, so it's lost in purgatory somewhere.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum.

As for the release of the Batman TV show, I'll give you the gist of it. Fox has stated that they would really like to release this show on DVD. However, while they own the rights to the TV show, Warner Bros. owns the rights to the Batman character. Apparently, this is what is making the release not possible. I think it sucks that these two studios can't or won't come to an agreement that would allow the release, because, in the end, we the consumers are the ones who lose out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
All that is esssentially correct. Here is some in-depth background:

Fox would LOVE to release the Adam West/Burt Ward television series of Batman on DVD. They own the footage from the show, and noone else has the right to put that footage onto DVD.

However, the characters on that footage - Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler, Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred the Butler, etc. - are all owned by DC Comics, which is a division of Warner Brothers.

The characters were licensed to Fox to use for the TV Show, and there is no license to release them on DVD. Warner and Fox have been unable to reach any agreement that each finds acceptable for getting DVDs out. Some have speculated that Warner is purposely delaying this until the next Batman film hits theaters, to maximize awareness for the film and profits they would get via the license of the set to Fox.

Under terms of the existing license for the FILM which was based on that television show, a DVD of Batman - The Movie was brought out a while back...it can now be found at Wal-Mart in the $5.88 bargain bin.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Great explanation.

A real shame that Warner is holding up
this TV series release for Fox. You would
hope the two studios would have come to an
agreement.

John,

Definately buy the BATMAN MOVIE (1960s)
available on DVD. It's the closest thing
to the TV show that you will get right now.
If you have never seen it before, it's a
great film!

John Moral

Auditioning
Dear Friends
kind regards
Many thanks for your comments and information.
I have the Batman movie DVD-It is very good.
I hope that Fox and Warner brothers can come to some sort of arrangement.
I hope that they release ALL 120 episodes.
They have a big market for it.
yours thankfully
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks