1950's movies and their aspect ratios.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by StevenFC, Jan 16, 2004.

1. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea or knowledge of the use of the new widescreen processes that arose in the early 50's. If I'm to believe the info on many DVD's, many movies from that era were still be shot in the 1.33(or 1.37 to be technical) to 1 ratio Academy Standard. Am I the only one that finds this just a little confusing and disconcerting?

I mean, how long was the 1.33 ratio still being used after 1953?

Can I trust when it says on a DVD that it's the "Theatrical release format" that it really is?

Were some directors and/or studios more prone to use the old standard?

Certainly I can tell once I watch the DVD whether or not it's being shown in it's OAR. But that's not much comfort when you consider the fact that you can't return opened DVD's.

Any thoughts?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Do a search for threads in the Software forum about Stanley Kubrick films on DVD.

It's a close call whether this thread should remain in the Movies forum or be moved to Software. I'll leave it here for now and see how the discussion progresses.

M.

3. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure were to place it.

Your reply was very helpful. I would like a little more input to see if anyone has any idea about the frequency of the use of the widescreen process. Also about the resistance of directors to adopt it. But if no one else responds, that's okay. I won't be upset if you decide to close the thread or move it.

Thanks Michael.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The 1950's are indeed confusing.

1.33:1 continued to be used, but more sparingly, through the decade. In other countries, ratios changed a lot slower.

Basically, if it's an odd ratio choice and a 1950's film, it's probably correct.

5. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Thanks Patrick. I feel more confident now.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Steven,

There's wealth of information on wide screen processes at the Wide Screen Musuem. Anticipate spending at least several hours going through the site.

Go here.

Peter