What's new

1940s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
No mention of Drums Along the Mohawk in the 30s choice but it was released in Blu in Scandinavia. I don't have it because my order thru UK was cancelled as No Stock left.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Will Krupp said:
THAT NIGHT IN RIO!  There should be at least some representation of those great pre-war "Good Neighbor" musicals on blu-ray and the existing DVD is a little soft (especially when compared to the really stunning SD disc of DOWN ARGENTINE WAY) so I think this will look very pretty on blu.
Also some Carmen Miranda in Blu-ray can't be a bad thing.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Reed Grele said:
Did a "write in" for THE BLUE MAX for the 1960's. Will do the same tomorrow for the 1940's THE MARK OF ZORRO.
I wrote in Mark of Zorro for the 1930s. I'll try to correct that. I voted for The Black Swan. My hope is that Mark of Zorro is already a lock for blu so that it was not included.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I could watch THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR all day and night for the rest of my life. Gene Tierney and Bernard Hermann's score. Who could ask for more! And I have to admit I'm a big crybaby at the end.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
To the Shores of Tripoli. I haven't seen this one, but I love old war films and Maureen O'Hare, so that gave me two solid reasons....

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Another write-in here for LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. One of the few Film Noirs in color ... in fact, it won the Oscar for Best Cinematography (Color).

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by PODER
Another write-in here for LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. One of the few Film Noirs in color ... in fact, it won the Oscar for Best Cinematography (Color).
Yes!! Why didn't I think of it myself? LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN would be an obvious and stunning choice for 1940's blu-ray as (I'm pretty sure I remember reading) it was restored after being released to DVD and the restoration hasn't yet been seen commercially.
Not only did it win an Oscar, it singlehandedly started the post-war fad for Southwestern interior design!
I'm going to write that in every day!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I voted for Mother Wore Tights because I don't think it has been released on DVD and it is one of the Betty Grable films I haven't seen. I Wake Up Screaming would be another good choice for Blu-ray as it has such lovely b & w cinematography. Incidentally, every time I think about Betty, Neil Sedaka's wonderful tribute comes to mind.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I voted for Mother Wore Tights today. I've mentioned wanting it here for years, so I thought it'd be pretty hypocritical not to cast at least a few votes for it even though there are certainly others in the list I'd like to have as much if not more. No, it hasn't been released on a region 1 DVD as yet, so a Blu-ray would be a nice surprise. But Grable's enormous popularity in her heyday seems to have faded over the decades, so one doesn't hold out much hope for its chances.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I wrote in for the Will Hay comedy Where's That Fire. Very remote chance they'll ever release it, but it's the only major Will Hay comedy unreleased on home video and would probably get quite a bit of imports.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Ejanss said:
Darn, didn't know what to write for a Write-In vote, but if they'd had a 70's category, I'd had the crazy idea to write-in a vote for the 1976 Blue Bird, with Elizabeth Taylor and Jane Fonda, which Fox hasn't put out in the US in any video form, period. Even VHS. (Although it is available as a region-free DVD with English language and Russian titles from Ruscico.com) Not a perfect movie either, but a good companion--Closer to the original Maeterlinck than Shirley's heavily condensed post-Heidi/40's-isolationist version, although Shirley's version captures the fairytale-message feel better for first-time kids.
I was told by Twilight Time that The Blue Bird(1976) was on the list of titles Fox gave them to choose from. I guess the print wasn't good enough, so they passed. Too bad, I also would have loved a Blu-ray of that! I've been voting for The Ghost and Mrs Muir and [B/A Letter to Three Wives[/B]. I submitted Jane Eyre (with Joan Fontaine, Orson Welles, and even a young Elizabeth Taylor in the brief but memorable role of the sickly Helen Burns) as a film I'd like to see on Blu.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
While I hold out high hopes for MOTHER WORE TIGHTS, which I still have on VHS in its mini- clamshell, I'm continuing to write in missing Oscar winners and nominees. Today's write-in was THE PIED PIPER, with the always delightful Monty Woolley, as well as Roddy McDowell, Anne Baxter and Otto Preminger.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
PODER said:
While I hold out high hopes for MOTHER WORE TIGHTS, which I still have on VHS in its mini- clamshell, I'm continuing to write in missing Oscar winners and nominees. Today's write-in was THE PIED PIPER, with the always delightful Monty Woolley, as well as Roddy McDowell, Anne Baxter and Otto Preminger.
I'm pleased that someone else has considered The Pied Piper. It hasn't been shown on TV and I've only seen it from a VHS bootleg from a poor-condition nitrate print. It really needs work done as it's a forgotten gem that was nominated for Best Picture in 1942.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks