1933 version King Kong DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Emma, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I haven't seen this movie in years since I was a little kid(I'm 15 now), and I Remember it scared me shitless when I was a kid like 5 or 6 I must of been... I barely rememeber it but I check to see if there was a DVD out, amazon.com says it coming out soon, I'm wondering whats up wiht this DVD...

The recent news of Peter Jackson directing the remake of King Kong has sparked my interest in the big ape...

2. Rain

Rain Producer

WB is working on it.

The film requires some restoration, which hopefully will not consist of wiping away all resemblance to actual film.

I'm not sure whether the "restoration" underway is a proper restoration or just digital clean up.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Also note that the planned 2003 release (trying to coincide with the 70th anniversary) has had to be pushed back to 2004, so that the restoration Rain mentions can be completed properly. An HTF search will find that thread, whenever the search function is up. [​IMG] It sounded like this is a good thing, so that when we DO get the DVD it will be the best we've ever seen it, and no complaints (unless it's OVER-processed, something that - like Rain - I hope doesn't happen).

4. Pehr

Pehr Extra

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Warners pushed this to 2005, to coincide with PJ's new version.

5. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

Doesn't Universal Owns teh rights to King Kong, since they are producing the new King Kong Movie... so why does WB own the orignal King Kong?

6. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

The rights to King Kong were purchased (along with most, of not all, of the RKO catalog) by Ted Turner back in the late 80s-early 90s, and were subsequently acquired by Warner Brothers when they merged with Turner.

I'm not sure why Universal now owns the production rights to Kong. My guess is that Dino DeLaurentiis owned the rights back when he produced the 1976 remake (which was distributed by Paramount) and then subsequently sold the rights to Universal somewhere along the way. Hopefully, someone else can shed some more light on this, as I would like to know the story too.

7. Opi

Opi Stunt Coordinator

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, I think the Chicago-All That Jazz co-release idea is good. All That Jazz may get more fans and buyers by catching the eyes of Chicago fans.

As for King Kong, waiting for best quality is great. I doubt they're waiting for the remake...

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

11. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Universal must have the rights to the 1933 King Kong in the UK because a Region 2 edition of the film has been available here for quite a while although most of it is covered with grain particularly the scenes aboard the ship enroute to Skull Island. Hopefully Warners will present us with a restoration sooner than 2005 !
    Classic Films on DVD

12. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

As far as I know Universal has had rights to the King Kong character since Godzilla vs King Kong (or King Kong vs Godzilla if you prefer [​IMG]) which was a co-production with Universal. They also sued (and lost) Nintendo over Donkey Kong (Nintento proved that King Kong as a trademark has entered the Public Domain).

However, as far as I know, the 1933 film has never been owned or distibuted by Universal in America. However, like Citizen Kane and other RKO pictures, Universal seem to hold the European rights.

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

14. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks David for that update about that courtcase

[​IMG]

15. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    My guess is that Dino De Laurentis still owns the rights as he made the last two films, King Kong (1976) and King Kong Lives (1986). I believe he has a working relationship with Universal as he worked with them recently on Red Draghon.

Jeff