1930s: What Titles Did You Vote For?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I voted for Clark Gable (Call of the Wild). The Gable collection released by Fox on DVD includes this and another nominee, The Tall Men. Perhaps they will produce a Blu-ray upgrade set and include the other title, Soldier of Fortune which is a 50's colour, widescreen adventure set in Hong Kong. I assume that none of these nominated titles will be released by Twilight Time.

2. PODER

PODER Second Unit

PETER JABLONSKI
    LES MISERABLES is a great write-in choice! Today, however, mine was Oscar nominee BERKELEY SQUARE.

3. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    Another write in vote here for CAVALCADE. What a shame there has been no release of this whatsoever except in that massive disjointed box set of several years ago. A BD would be wonderful and fitting for a best picture winner. Caught it on TCM years ago and loved it. I guess there are those who dismiss it, but I thought it was an engaging and delightful film.

4. bestactor

bestactor Auditioning

I submitted my own--Drums Along the Mohawk and Folies Bergere (1935)

5. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

I agree with everything you've said here. It's a wonderful film which should have been released about now for Oscar season.

6. Lromero1396

I'd like to see Call of the Wild restored to its original running time of 95 minutes. It was cut down to 81 minutes when the film was reissued during the Second World War (notice the "BUY WAR BONDS" tag on the replacement end title card.) However, it's entirely possible that those 14 minutes trimmed from the negative were destroyed, especially in 1978 when Fox junked all the trims from their films as well as many of their nitrate film elements. Unfortunately, it is most likely that what we have now, is all that remains :( I'd also like to see Soldier of Fortune's 4-track stereo mix restored. The DVD had a mono spread from an optical track as the stereo mags were too deteriorated. It'd be nice for Fox to do a more comprehensive search for these elements to see if anything turns up. The Tall Men would look stellar on BD. When (if) it gets released, I'd like for Fox to include an isolated score track to showcase Victor Young's wonderful score. These would make an excellent Gable box set.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Why not have Follies Bergere as a choice since its two remakes That Night in Rio and On the Riviera are up for grabs?

8. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    My vote today was for Steamboat 'Round the Bend. For the write-in suggestion box, I've suggested (or will suggest) for the 1930s: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) City Girl (1930) State Fair (1933) Judge Priest (1934) Les Misérables (1935) Lloyd's of London (1936) The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) The Road to Glory (1936) In Old Chicago (1937) Suez (1938) Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) The Rains Came (1939) Stanley and Livingstone (1939) Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)

9. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Call of the Wild was todays selection from the 1930s

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Went with the popular Jesse James.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    A great western in beautiful Technicolor.
    Crawdaddy

12. Lromero1396

Most interesting...I had no idea that those two were remakes of Folies Bergere. But I would guess that the elements on Folies Bergere are in poor shape, and there are also 2 versions of it; one in English, and one in French.

13. Lromero1396

All worthy choices in my book!

14. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Decided to vote for Jesse James today.

15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, Fox was very well known for remaking its movies. Not that other studios didn't do it, too, but Fox's seemed to be more frequent.

16. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Exactly! And it's currently only represented in a really really sub-par DVD release that I KNOW can benefit from an upgrade (and this is the ONLY way I see that happening)

17. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I voted for "The Little Princess" again, with a write-in vote for "Cavalcade". Would love to see both on Blu!

18. Lromero1396

I wouldn't worry. Jesse James is sure to win in the 1930s category at this rate. And yes, the DVD is a travesty with incorrect color, color fringing, misaligned 3-strip records, you name it. It NEEDS a significant restoration.

19. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    delete

20. PODER

PODER Second Unit

PETER JABLONSKI
    Yet another write-in vote for CAVALCADE!! I truly do NOT understand why this lone Best Picture Oscar Winner has been all but kicked off the rear of a moving train. Having a character or two go down on the Titanic is pretty much a cliche these days (yes you, DOWNTON ABBEY), but when this first came out the audience would gasp when the two characters parted to reveal the Titanic life-saver hanging on the railing.