What's new

1930s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I voted for Clark Gable (Call of the Wild). The Gable collection released by Fox on DVD includes this and another nominee, The Tall Men. Perhaps they will produce a Blu-ray upgrade set and include the other title, Soldier of Fortune which is a 50's colour, widescreen adventure set in Hong Kong. I assume that none of these nominated titles will be released by Twilight Time.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
LES MISERABLES is a great write-in choice! Today, however, mine was Oscar nominee BERKELEY SQUARE.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Another write in vote here for CAVALCADE. What a shame there has been no release of this whatsoever except in that massive disjointed box set of several years ago. A BD would be wonderful and fitting for a best picture winner. Caught it on TCM years ago and loved it. I guess there are those who dismiss it, but I thought it was an engaging and delightful film.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
Another write in vote here for CAVALCADE. What a shame there has been no release of this whatsoever except in that massive disjointed box set of several years ago. A BD would be wonderful and fitting for a best picture winner. Caught it on TCM years ago and loved it. I guess there are those who dismiss it, but I thought it was an engaging and delightful film.
I agree with everything you've said here. It's a wonderful film which should have been released about now for Oscar season.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Keith Cobby said:
I voted for Clark Gable (Call of the Wild). The Gable collection released by Fox on DVD includes this and another nominee, The Tall Men. Perhaps they will produce a Blu-ray upgrade set and include the other title, Soldier of Fortune which is a 50's colour, widescreen adventure set in Hong Kong. I assume that none of these nominated titles will be released by Twilight Time.
I'd like to see Call of the Wild restored to its original running time of 95 minutes. It was cut down to 81 minutes when the film was reissued during the Second World War (notice the "BUY WAR BONDS" tag on the replacement end title card.) However, it's entirely possible that those 14 minutes trimmed from the negative were destroyed, especially in 1978 when Fox junked all the trims from their films as well as many of their nitrate film elements. Unfortunately, it is most likely that what we have now, is all that remains :( I'd also like to see Soldier of Fortune's 4-track stereo mix restored. The DVD had a mono spread from an optical track as the stereo mags were too deteriorated. It'd be nice for Fox to do a more comprehensive search for these elements to see if anything turns up. The Tall Men would look stellar on BD. When (if) it gets released, I'd like for Fox to include an isolated score track to showcase Victor Young's wonderful score. These would make an excellent Gable box set.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
bestactor said:
I submitted my own--Drums Along the Mohawk and Folies Bergere (1935)
Why not have Follies Bergere as a choice since its two remakes That Night in Rio and On the Riviera are up for grabs?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
My vote today was for Steamboat 'Round the Bend. For the write-in suggestion box, I've suggested (or will suggest) for the 1930s: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) City Girl (1930) State Fair (1933) Judge Priest (1934) Les Misérables (1935) Lloyd's of London (1936) The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) The Road to Glory (1936) In Old Chicago (1937) Suez (1938) Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) The Rains Came (1939) Stanley and Livingstone (1939) Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MattH. said:
Why not have Follies Bergere as a choice since its two remakes That Night in Rio and On the Riviera are up for grabs?
Most interesting...I had no idea that those two were remakes of Folies Bergere. But I would guess that the elements on Folies Bergere are in poor shape, and there are also 2 versions of it; one in English, and one in French.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MLamarre said:
My vote today was for Steamboat 'Round the Bend. For the write-in suggestion box, I've suggested (or will suggest) for the 1930s: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) City Girl (1930) State Fair (1933) Judge Priest (1934) Les Misérables (1935) Lloyd's of London (1936) The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) The Road to Glory (1936) In Old Chicago (1937) Suez (1938) Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) The Rains Came (1939) Stanley and Livingstone (1939) Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)
All worthy choices in my book!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Lromero1396
Most interesting...I had no idea that those two were remakes of Folies Bergere. But I would guess that the elements on Folies Bergere are in poor shape, and there are also 2 versions of it; one in English, and one in French.
Yes, Fox was very well known for remaking its movies. Not that other studios didn't do it, too, but Fox's seemed to be more frequent.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
A great western in beautiful Technicolor.
Exactly! And it's currently only represented in a really really sub-par DVD release that I KNOW can benefit from an upgrade (and this is the ONLY way I see that happening)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Will Krupp said:
Exactly!  And it's currently only represented in a really really sub-par DVD release that I KNOW can benefit from an upgrade (and this is the ONLY way I see that happening)
I wouldn't worry. Jesse James is sure to win in the 1930s category at this rate. And yes, the DVD is a travesty with incorrect color, color fringing, misaligned 3-strip records, you name it. It NEEDS a significant restoration.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Yet another write-in vote for CAVALCADE!! I truly do NOT understand why this lone Best Picture Oscar Winner has been all but kicked off the rear of a moving train. Having a character or two go down on the Titanic is pretty much a cliche these days (yes you, DOWNTON ABBEY), but when this first came out the audience would gasp when the two characters parted to reveal the Titanic life-saver hanging on the railing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks