What's new

192 kHz vs. 96 kHz receiver DACs (1 Viewer)

RichButler

Auditioning
Could someone explain to me the advantages of having 192 kHz DACs over 96 kHz DACs in my HT receiver?
For example, I'm interested in the Onkyo 797 and the Denon 3802 receivers. The Onkyo has 192 kHz DACs, the Denon 96 kHz DACs. Is there any advantage to the Onkyo in this case?
It seems to me, since neither of these receivers is firmware upgradeable, as long as the bandwidth is sufficient to decode all of the included formats, there is no need for the faster DACs. Does the Onkyo need them for THX decoding?
I've been told that you need 192 kHz to convert DVD-Audio. Howveer, no current digital interconnect supports the bandwitdh of a digital DVD-Audio signal, so the D/A conversion has to happen at the player now and the analog channels are sent to the receiver? (Is that all correct?) In which case the receiver's DACs aren't even used.
So, for a future receiver with higher bandwitdh digital inputs, the 192 hHz would be important. But for these 2 receivers it doesn't present a signifcant difference?
Or am I just completely off base?

David Judah

Screenwriter
I think you are completely right in your analysis. As anyone who is familiar with consumer electronics knows, alot of times the manufacturers want to dazzle you with better numbers for marketing reasons, even if there is not an immediate benefit.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks