What's new

16:9 Concert DVD's? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
It seems most music is shot with TV cameras, and therefore 4:3. Now that I have a big widescreen TV, I'd love to know of some that are shot in widescreen.

I have one- Queen's 'We Will Rock You' and it is GREAT.

If anyone knows of others, please post them. Thanks.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Here are a few off the top of my head:

Led Zeppelin: The Songs Remains the Same

Peter Frampton: Live in Detroit

ELO: Zoom Tour

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Bruice Springsteen does a live performace 2-disc DVD set that is an awesome HD downconversion (16x9). Incredible. It looks practically HD on a 100" screen.

What *really* ticks me off are music videos that are 4x3 lbxed!!! if they knew they were going to be widescreen videos to start with...why didn't they record/edit them in 16x9 to provide better resolution? Ugh.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Bruce Sprinsteen & the E Street Band: Live in New York City
A terrific widescreen anamorphic presentation! (And the concert's pretty good, too. ;) )

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Talking Heads - "Stop Making Sense" Ok really this is a DVD of a movie of a concert so of course it is widescreen but still awesome. The sound and picture are amazing!

Laters,

Jeff

Rick Bertuzzi

Auditioning
Roger Waters - In The Flesh
This is from his US tour in 2000 and was filmed at the concert held in Portland. I went to the show immediately after at "The Gorge" in George, Washington. The way the band played and acted on stage was practically identical (no complaints here!). The DVD sounds awesome, probably better than live (although I was pretty amazed at how excellent the sound at the concert was).
Lots of good oldies from The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, etc, and some of his newer stuff. Also, if I remember correctly, it was pretty cheap.
Rick.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Cranberries: Live in Paris (WARNING: This is being remastered due to some nasty sync issues and horrible menus)

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
The new "Brian Setzer; Live in Japan" is a good 16x9. Not the absolute best video as there are some very tricky comprsession issues to tackle with very colorful stage clothes and sets, but the audio is AMAZING!

I'm not a huge fan of "Godsmack", but it's the best 16x9 concert video I've seen. Absolutely hi-def looking!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
My favorite "widescreen concerts":

Diana Krall: Live in Paris

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense

Coming soon (5/7?) the amazingly spectacular and possibly unequaled in the annals of rock-n-roll film history (and also in anamorphic widescreen): "THE LAST WALTZ"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another 16x9 concert disc not mentioned so far is Paul Simon - You're The One.
My personal favorite is the Springsteen set. Over three hours of great Bruce concert footage from a HD transfer. Could a Springsteen fan ask for anything more?

"Woodstock", "George Benson:Absolutely Live", "Peter Frampton:Live In Detroit", "James Brown:Live From The House Of Blues" are all 16 x 9 anamorphic widescreen.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks