What's new

142.5L shiva box help.....yet again (1 Viewer)

fred garvin

Agent
getting closer to done on the project. for the legs, the plans call for a 2 1'2" diameter legs (round) the biggest dowel i can find is 1 1/2" can i use the narrower legs, what kind of problems will be caused if i do. of course, i understand that the 3 1/2" length f the legs must be followed for ground clearance of the downfiring sub. since i cant find 2 1/2" round wood, are their any other solutions to be had. thanx again in advance.

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I used 2" x 2" wood blocks and cut them to the recommedend length(3 1/2 inches). I then cut a sheet of MDF that was the same dimension as the box, not only to give it an "SVS" look, but it also made it a lot easier to slide the sub around on the carpet. Otherwise you would need two people to move that beast around!
Hope this helps.

fred garvin

Agent
interesting idea, the mdf on the bottom. i see what you mean by the SVS look, and yes, while i happen to be a weightlifter, this cabinet is still going to be heavy as hell. i think i might use that idea as well, thanx for the insight.:emoji_thumbsup:

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
Check out my home theater link for a 142.5L Shiva with a base stand. Very easy with the MDF. It is not cosmetically finished, but the sound is incredible.

fred garvin

Agent
cool sub, i myself built the box type plans right from adire, 22.5 x 22.5 x 22.5 inches. definitly leaning toward the MDF base plan under the legs. i still have to figure out a plan for finishing (my theater is in the livingroom, and my wife is not a fan of MDF and screws in raw form, she did offer to help me finish it though, so its all good. bad news is i did a piss poor job of countersinking some of the screws. the wife will figure something out though i'm sure. i'm leaning toward a speaker carper or perhaps a pick up truck bed liner (spray) type finish.

fred garvin

Agent
P.S. i have vintage polk in my theater too, rta-12's and a pair of monitor 5's (center channel). sweet SDA's ya got there. i also have a pair of SDA-2B's in the basement 2 channel rig.

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I also used a texture spray to cover my less than perfect job on filling the screw holes. If you go the texture spray route, be careful to cover up the Shiva so that no paint comes into contact with it. I'm also considering wrapping the box in a cloth "sock", a la Definitve Technology and their tower speakers. That is, if I can get my wife to sew it.
Hope this helps

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
Russel, nice theatre.

Fred. If its constructed properly you don't need legs that wide/large. Think of the physics. There should be minimal lateral pressure on them. All the pressure is vertical. Do you think that several hundred kilos could squash 1 1/2" dowel vertically? Now your sub won't be that heavy and you won't have just one leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks