What's new

120 hz TV Question? (1 Viewer)

Sizemore

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
So I picked up a 42" LG 120 hz LCD television a few days ago and I'm having a problem with the 120 hz capabilities. It seems as if whenever there's a scene where the 120 hz should shine (EX: someone running across a screen quickly), the character is focused correctly and so is the background, but there is some sort of blurriness around where the character fades into the fast moving background. This is the same in my HD cable programming and also through my Playstation 3.

Now my question is this.. could it have anything to do with the HDMI cables I'm using? I'm using the cheap ones off of Amazon that were $.01 each. I know these aren't high speed HDMI (which I had no clue existed until a few hours ago). Whenever I'm watching a blu ray movie on my PS3, it says I'm at 48 hz. Maybe this has something to do with it? Shouldn't it be at 120 hz?

Maybe if I can get this question answered, I can get the blurriness from my picture.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
nothing to do with the cabling.

In most cases I recommend not using 120 / 240 hz modes...it will make film look very unnatural.

Sizemore

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
So what you're saying is that buying a 120hz television over a 60hz television was a mistake?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
potentially...maybe not.

depends on other things like contrast ratios, color balance, etc etc

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its not a mistake. some people do like the new look with the 120 refresh rate. I personity think its great. my philips HDTV does it. you might want to check with your settings?
get a calibration disc or use one with the star wars or other dvds and check the settings.
there are some settings on the tv.. that should be off. list them and I can try and help you.

Jacob

Sizemore

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Expert Control Name: (Setting) ---

Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Noise Reduction: Off
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Trumotion 120Hz: High
Color Standard: HD
Golor Gamut:Standard
Edge Enhancer: High
xvYCC: Auto
Expert Pattern: Off
Color Filter: Off
White Balance: Warm
Method: 2 points
Pattern: Outer
Red Contrast: 0
Green Contrast: 0
Blue Contrast: 0
Red Brightness: 0
Green Brightness: 0
Blue Brightness: 0
Red Color: 0
Red Tint: 0
Green Color: 0
Green Tint: 0
Blue Color: 0
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Color: 0
Yellow Tint: 0
Cyan Color: 0
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 0
Magenta Tint: 0

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
i would turn the dynamic contrast off and also the edge enhancer.. see if they makes a differnce?
on my tv.. I dont have that many settings. more of the simple ones. brightness, color, saturation, tnt,contrast.
Jacob

Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Noise Reduction: Off
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Trumotion 120Hz: High
Color Standard: HD
Golor Gamut:Standard
Edge Enhancer: High

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Originally Posted by Sizemore

So I picked up a 42" LG 120 hz LCD television a few days ago and I'm having a problem with the 120 hz capabilities. It seems as if whenever there's a scene where the 120 hz should shine (EX: someone running across a screen quickly), the character is focused correctly and so is the background, but there is some sort of blurriness around where the character fades into the fast moving background. This is the same in my HD cable programming and also through my Playstation 3.

Now my question is this.. could it have anything to do with the HDMI cables I'm using? I'm using the cheap ones off of Amazon that were $.01 each. I know these aren't high speed HDMI (which I had no clue existed until a few hours ago). Whenever I'm watching a blu ray movie on my PS3, it says I'm at 48 hz. Maybe this has something to do with it? Shouldn't it be at 120 hz?

Maybe if I can get this question answered, I can get the blurriness from my picture.
Here is an excellent article by Dr. Raymond Soneira on the topic of LCD motion blur: http://displaymate.com/LCD_Response_Time_ShootOut.htm . It should help clarify the issue for you.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

genedjr

Agent
Real Name
gene dowen
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I completely disagree with the "shootout" article. While almost 2 years old, it still did not address the human eye response and used a camera that unerroringly records what is really there, not what a human actually sees.

For me.

Live action, the 120hz of my 42" vizio is fantastic. After seeing a game at a firends house on his 60hz Sony, I new I had a better deal at 1/2 the price. For film, especially anything before 2000 - turn it off. If you have the luxury to see it in native frame rate - do so. You'll be very happy with seeing what the director and all those other hard working folks provide.

your mileage will vary :)
...gene

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Originally Posted by genedjr

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I completely disagree with the "shootout" article. While almost 2 years old, it still did not address the human eye response and used a camera that unerroringly records what is really there, not what a human actually sees.

...gene
You apparently did not read the entire article, or comprehend it fully if you actually did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks