What's new

12" woofers: Adire vs SVS (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ok. I was unsure since this isn't the DIY forum and the SVS driver isn't available separately (given that, the Shiva is much more flexible though, no?).
The TV-12, used in the $1,099 SVS Ultra, is apparently very similar to the Audiomobile Mass 12 ($300). Based on this, and lacking real specs, I'd say the the TV-12 is a "better" driver than the $115 Shiva, at least in that application.
Not really a valid comparison, given the disperate price points (were the SVS driver even available). The only real useful conclusion one can draw is that it's probably not possible to duplicate the performance of the SVS Ultra with a single Shiva. You'd have much better luck with a Tempest.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on July 23, 2001 at 01:07 PM]

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Hey Jack,
I just noticed at the SVS site that they are now selling the bare driver (for the PC and CS series, not the TV-12)to registered owners.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Those items(at SVS) are only meant to be purchased for use in original SVS products.
The SV drivers aren't designed to be used in a wide variety of applications like most raw DIY drivers available. Don't attetmp to purchase our drivers with the expectation we'll be holding your hand as you build you own subwoofer...because the drivers are NOT intended for that application. Now--if you purchase someone else's driver---I'll be happy to offer as much insight into your DIY attemps as time allows.(as would Ron most assuredly).
Unless you have a SV subwoofer that needs a new component for some reason(maybe the cat scratched the cloth to shreds...please don't try to order indiviudal components from our *replacement* page(I hope the wording on that page is clear?). There's PLENTY of good *DIY* houses that will be happy to sell you anything you need to make a good woof. However, SVS isn't in the *DIY* business. We've discussed this(and it may happen in the future)...but to truth to tell...we're kept pretty damn busy just keeping up with demand for current products(and thanks to everyone for that :) )
TV

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The SV drivers aren't designed to be used in a wide variety of applications like most raw DIY drivers available.
Tom,
I'd imagine that knowing exactly the loading and alignments your driver was destined for allowed you considerable freedom in optimising it for your enclosures and avoiding compromises that a designer of an "all-purpose" DIY driver might have to make to ensure compatibility with all applications (this "over-engineering" possibly adding to its expense).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks