What's new

12 Monkeys Ultimate Edition this fall (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: I wonder will they secure the rights to the original short film (name escapes me) that inspired this movie? [/quote]It was Chris Marker's "La Jetée". If Universal does not secure the rights, it is available on DVD in the "Short 2: Dreams" collection for an MSRP of $15. It includes commentary from Gilliam as well as David & Janet Peoples (12 Monkeys screenwriters). The only drawback is that it is dubbed into English with no choice for the original French audio. The dialog consists of only narration with no synchronization issues, but it is still a bummer.
If you can find the earlier version of the disc when it was called "Short Cinema Journal", there is an interesting documentary on the making of "Portrait of a Lady" as well as some mildly amusing connecting segments featuring Ryan Stiles of "Whose Line is it Anyway?" and "The Drew Carey Show" fame. I'm told that these were omitted when Warner took over the series, but some additional supplemental commentary (such as on "La Jetée") was added for some of the shorts. I only own the original release and have not heard the commentary on "La Jetée".
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 24, 2001 at 09:44 AM]

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
See, this is great for me. As I have not jumped in on this one. Even though folks have said that the DD5.1 and DTS tracks are close enough in quality that you should just get the DD5.1 CE. Now that I have wavered on this, I cn just get the UE. Cool.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Hey Mike, don't worry, I have actually seen all the extras on the DD CE (rented it once) so I really just wanted a copy of the movie, CE or DTS version.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree that Universal should worry more about working on titles with no releases at all...or really bad ones, but for me this is good news, because I've been weary to drop a fat 30+ on the DTS version.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
If you only have the DTS version of the movie, you're missing out on one of the best disc supplements ever in the Hamster Factor documentary. This alone would be, in my mind, worth the price of the UE.
------------------

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Included will be a Movie Cash coupon to see 13 Monkeys
laugh.gif

Go fix Scarface and 16x9 Vertigo and Psycho first, THEN worry about fixing stuff that ain't broke.
Jason
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"Look, I'm Mrs. Hitler!" Rat Race
Film Critic, Link Removed

Jodee

Screenwriter
Universal should instead be focusing on re-releasing some of their pan & scan only travesties such as:
Babe
Happy Gilmore
TimeCop
Sea of Love
Fierce Creatures

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I guess is just a matter of time before we see Jaws UE and Jurassic Park UE (making the whole D2R2 DTS thing a moot point).
I also vote for Scarface UE in an anamorphic transfer. I understand you want to make money Universal. I mean, we all do. But this is just pissing off your customers. Get with the program and see ask Warner Brothers what happens when we (the DVD enthusiast community who these releases are cleared aimmed at) get jerked around.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Super! I can't wait for this DVD!! :)
I'd like to see an Animal House Ultimate Edition too if you're listening!!! :)
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks