What's new

110v and HDMI Floor Mount (1 Viewer)

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I posted this also on the AVS forum and am still looking for help. Thanks!

I just purchased an Optoma HD70 (love it) and am setting up my Theatre in an existing game room. My surround has been set up for some time. The room has 9' ceilings with beams, so it is not possible to mount the projector on the ceiling. My house is pier and beam, so I want to install a floor plug and receptacle for my HDMI cable.

Do you know if there is a supplier for floor mounted boxes for both of these devices? Can I put them both in one box? Would I be better off just running the HDMI cable thru an opening in the box and allowing the slack to "droop" down under the house and pull it up when needed?

I have read that there is the possibility of interference between electical cables and the HDMI cable. This might keep me from using the same box. However it seems like the cables are mixed up with the electrical behind the cabinet anyway, so what is the difference?

Thanks for reading this and I hope some might be able to help.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
You want to avoid the electrical and HDMI running parallel to each other for a long distance. You can have them come out of the floor next to each other, but do not want them in the same box. There are several floor boxes with multiple inputs and seperation for power and data (made by Carlon E971FB), but I can't figure out what trim plate you will use. You could either get a big commercial floor box (depending on your floor surface could look like crap unless it was under a couch, or if you don't mind two holes, Carlon makes a drop in floor box that can handle one outlet or two data jacks. You could use one for power and the second to feed your HDMI cable. They are approx $20 at Home Depot. Here is the link: http://www.carlon.com/sd-cgi/hsrun.hse/CarlonCatalog/ProductCatalog/StateId/ROjsBqjlI5U0vPzNtw0BX7QdVU5dC-3iH2/HAHTpage/ProductCatalog.HsCARLONPRODUCTWINDOW.run?CatalogOb jectId=76&ProductName=E971FBDI They are approx three inches across and come complete with everything you need to install them (including the drill bit)

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael

Thanks for the link. I think that two might be the way to go. That one round floor box has a divider kit, but it doesn't say if the compartments are shielded(probably not), and for communications would not need to be. Plus it is pretty big. I guess I will put them about 1' apart. It seems that the best thing with the HDMI is to by a cable from monoprice and allow it to loop under the house and pull it up when in use, which will probably be most of the time.

It seems like this would be a pretty common application. You would think that something like this would be available.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Steve-
Nice to see you back. Panamax doesn't currently have any floor boxes. I wish they did as I find myself using the max in wall powerkit-tl with a Carlon brass trimmed floorbox anytime I have a floor installation.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes Nice to be back... well not really christmas vacation is now over and time to get back to work!... Hmmmmm...

Yes depending on the installation if you need it flush mounted to the floor there are not too many solutions out there at this point.

I'm hoping to see some HDMI solutions this year at Cedia.

Has anyone come across any Installer friendly Cable and HDMI Termination ends for Prewiring and terminating during a trim/final stage yet?

We finally have the perfect solution to all component video termination using mini bundled coax, but still waiting to see someone come out with an HDMI Spool.

I've never ripped apart an HDMI Cable. How Many conductors are actually in a HDMI Cable? Will HDMI 1.3 or whatever be any different in wiring/configuration? A

Are current HDMI Cables compatable with HDMI 1.3? (hope I have the Versions correct)

Ok Back to work!.... :)

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael

I talked to the young lady at Elliot electric last night and she said that Thomas and Betts had come out with a new product for floor mount with both ac and communiction ports. I looked it up and sure enough they have. It is product# 68R. The nice thing about this system is that you can be plugged in and the cover has a slot so that it can be closed. I think it is what I need. I can't post the web site because this board won't let me post web addresses until I have 10 post. The site is tnd dot com. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yes they did. Don't forget you will have to buy several parts to make this work and it probably won't be cheap. My guess is $150-$200 for all the needed parts. The lst floor box I bought from Thomas and betts was $119.

http://tnblnx3.tnb.com/emAlbum/album.../sf_gm1140.pdf

Steve-
The only practical solution for field terminating HDMI is to use a cat5-HDMI adapter. You need 2 runs of cat5 for every HDMI connection. With the tolerances needed you won't see any actaul HDMI field terminations. I want to say there are 14 pins, but therecould be more. The new 1.3 spec allows for higher bandwidth, but the actual interface (number of cables and plug) are the same. Some current cables may support it while others might not. If you are using more HDMI cables I would recommend a cable tester. ADI occasionally puts them on sale for $70ish

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Who is making the Cat5 HDMI Adaptors?

Have you seen these in use?

What's the max transmition length?

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Adam Gregorich said:
Yes they did. Don't forget you will have to buy several parts to make this work and it probably won't be cheap. My guess is $150-$200 for all the needed parts. The lst floor box I bought from Thomas and betts was $119.

Elliot electric gave me a quote for the kit, brown not brass, at $35.75. That would include cover, box, templates and a compartment divider. I would have to purchase a plug and whatever way I hook up the HDMI. But now I am thinking of rigging a ceiling mount....I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Steve-
Sorry for the delay in responding. I live in the greater Seattle area ans we go the crap kicked out of us this weekend. Gefen makes them ans so does someone else can't remember if it Key digital or not. You need 2 cat5 wires for it, can't remember distance.

Michael-
That's not a bad price at all.

Marc L

Stunt Coordinator
sorry about the thread Hijack:

Steve, you can find the HDMI/CAT5 adapters here: http://www.avovercat5.com/products/hdmi.htm .

I haven't used them yet...it's a tough sell because they're very expensive. Adam, have you used them yet? I was wondering if you "needed" one of the Cat 5 wires shielded like the manufacturer suggest. I have started prewiring plasma interconnects with the 6 mini coax cable and 2 cat 5's so that the home buyer at least has the HDMI option if they want to pony up the dough for the converters...but both cat 5's are not shielded.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I haven't used one...yet. I just pull a HDMI cable with the coax. I also usually pull more than a 6 mini coax. I like 9 coax to be behind the set. As HDMI switchers come down that will decrease. I like enough for 1 component, 2 coax,a digital audio (if they use a cable card) and a few spare. I pull a cat5 for IR/RS232. I will only terminate what I need initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks