What's new

11 new Depeche Mode SACDs!! (1 Viewer)

Leo

Second Unit
So these are UK releases only. Wonder if they'd ever see the light of day as a US release. But I'll be in line to order a few of these titles.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I did not see them on amazon, but cdwow.com had them. Ordered all three at $54 delivered.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Please let us know if these are good remasters.

I'd pick up a few but not if there just straight transfers.

Thanks

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Eric: these also include a multichannel mix too.

Not exactly the same type of music but I wish some of Massive Attack's albums would be mixed into 5.1 too (their album Mezzazine which I own is #177 on cduniverse's sales rank thing). These two groups' music genres IMO are some of the best for a surround presentation.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
So I received music for the masses the other day and am a little confused. It is not entirely obvious how to access the SACD. There are 2 disks. The CD (no SACD layer I found on first inspection) and the DVD that has LPCM, dd5.1 dts5.1. Am I just stupid and the LPCM is the SACD? All the SACDs I own you just pop them in and pow up comes the sacd light and away you go. This is menus as a typical DVD.
Confused....

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
First off, no you're not stupid - the first disc on the European release is supposed to be an SACD.

Where did you get your copy from? I ordered mine from Amazon UK and the first disc is an SACD, the second is the DVD you describe. There is supposed to be an American version that is the same, except that the first disc is a regular CD instead of an SACD.

You're right that you should be able to pop the SACD into the player and have it come up like you say. The DVD is another entity entirely. The LPCM track is what they put on there instead of a DD2.0 track. It's a higher than normal (on nice releases like these usually 24bit/48khz) resolution PCM track that all DVD players can play back an is far less compressed than a DD track would be.

Hope this helps!

Justin

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I'll check the cd. There is a SACD symbol on the case...let you know. I got it at cdwow. It does not say that there is SACD audio on it aside from the small symbol on the box
thanks
Marc

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
odd,
I thought I did insert the CD and just get cd not SACD. It worked fine this time. I will have a listen tonight to the SACD and report. I have already listened to the LPCM which was quite good.
Marc

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Marc,

My SACD player, a Samsung DVD-HD950 has an SACD button on the remote that switches from the CD layer to SACD layer. My player always defaults to the SACD layer but I can switch back and forth with the button. I would assume your player has a similar button that may have been inadvertently hit.

Chris

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Not to get too picky, but the PCM digital format uses no compression at all i.e. it is a lossless storage format.

Leo

Second Unit
Welp ordered the first batch of DM SACD's from CDWOW. Looking forward to them.

Leo

Second Unit
No too shabby a turnaround. Got them delivered today. Looking forward to the next batch.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

picky? you want picky?

A 48/24 LPCM master compresses out all the sounds above 24 kHz.

To add the confusion, most DVD-Audio aficionados look for 96KHz/24 bit 5.1 releases-- and those tracks are compressed, albeit losslessly.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Shit....my 563a won't read the SACD layer. Some discs I have to reload to get it to read it. I was thinking of getting a new Uni player..guess I'll pick one up this weekend.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Jeremy,

What you describe is not compression, but a function of sampling rate. Sorry to be picky, but I suggest you do some reading on DSP.

J

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
heh. I think I've done enough reading on such things. Yes it's a function of sampling rate-- Nyquist and all that. But the choice of sampling rates reflects a judgement about which data components are important. If you believe that frequencies above 24 Khz serve no useful purpose, decreasing the sampling frequency to 48 KHz saves quite a bit of space. On the other hand, if you're recording bat echolocation signals, a sampling rate greater than 120 KHz could well be useful.

Some lossy compression algorithms incorporate algorithms that discard data that is not believed to be physiologically perceptible. The lost data is just as unrecoverable as the ultrasonics missed by a 48 kHz sampling rate.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Well, I have listened to the first three. Actually 2 as my MFTM was unreadable? I put it in my player (Denon DVD-5900 region free) and got '00:00:00' as if there was no disk in there. The other two were fine.
???
Marc

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've only listened to "Violator" so far (surround SACD)... WOW! Sounds amazing.

I was also a bit taken aback when I first received, as I couldn't find any indication of "SACD" or "DSD" on the packaging. Plus, I believe the sticker only said "CD and DVD". But of course the SACD layer queued right up when I put it in the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks