1080P on the horizon...Gary Reber talks HD formats...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DaViD Boulet, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Japan's obsolete high-def format is in analog NTSC. The specifications were established decades ago, and there have been high-def broadcasts in Japan since the 1980s.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

There were quite a few "hi vision" HD laserdiscs released in Japan using the Japanese analog HD format.

The laserdisc players that played them were designed exceedingly well and produce some of the best laserdisc pictures even from standard NTSC discs...in some cases images that rival or exceed DVD (comparing a DVD and LD made from the same source D1 tape).

-dave

4. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

Just to add to the mix. The Sony playstation 3 will be coming in 2005-2006 which will be blu-ray too. So assuming it sells well (and I think it will sell 50 million within 3 years) - by 2008-2009 there will be lots of players capable of buying Columbia Tristar high def dvds. With that sort of worldwide userbase the blu-ray pre-recorded marketplace will be big enough to entice other studios to release pre-recorded films to it as well.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I don't see where 1080p is the end all be all of resolutions. It is not 35 mm film resolution (which is higher still and was quite apparent with the theatrical runs of AToC and Spy Kids 2), and certainly not 70mm resolution.

There will always be better than 1080p video displays and recording equipment (there are now, they just aren't in the consumer arena yet).

The studios withholding 1080p video because it's the best Hollywood can ever offer, is a very specious argument.

They haven't even given us lossless compressed or even uncompressed high resolution multichannel audio with our video yet either. They should as they are on DVD-Audio and SACD. Enough of this DTS and Dolby Digital lossy B.S.

Dan

7. FredK

FredK Second Unit

I don't see where 1080p is the end all be all of resolutions. It is not 35 mm film resolution (which is higher still and was quite apparent with the theatrical runs of AToC and Spy Kids 2), and certainly not 70mm resolution.

It's great for HT though, I can't wait to see it as the standard for released titles. It's not as far from being reality as it was 10 years ago, but it's still a long wait...

It's not 35mm resolution, but (beside being good enough for my next HD display purchase) I was under the impression more and more movies were being digitally rendered at 1080 resolution for post-production purposes. I've only seen AOTC DLP & IMAX and I've never seen SK2... were these as fuzzy as some people say? Obviously 35mm should look better, but is 1080 a bad experience at a commercial theater?

8. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    1080P is pretty sweet, even on a 120" screen it looks very nice. The key is the compression, however. D-VHS has a pretty high bit rate so it looks pretty fantastic at 1080I. Over the air Hi-Def at 1080I sometimes looks less than great, especially in fast moving action, because they're using a much lower bit rate on your typical Satellite HD broadcast. The point being that compression artifacting will show up no matter how high your resolution is.

I hope that whatever the pre-recorded disk standard becomes, it can deliver a low compression/ high bit rate video + uncompressed digital audio @ 1080P. I don't think anyone would have a right to complain at that point.

Of course, 1200+ lines would be even better, so Dan's point is correct, especially the bit about the studios withholding 1080P as if it's some "Holy Grail". It isn't, but it's way better than anything we have available to us now (short of buying a 35mm projector and reels) [​IMG]

-Dennis

9. Jeff Kleist

I saw Japanese HD once, the Tezuka museum brought one of their displays over when they did a mini exhibition at a con. The picture was noisy, but VERY impressive

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You used to be able to watch Japanese HD at Narita. It seemed to me that every time I changed planes there, Sumo wrestling was being telecast.

Regardless of your position on the sport, the picture was very impressive indeed. This was well before HD telecasts in the States.

11. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

12. Tom Pfarr

Tom Pfarr Agent

I don't think I can process this information. DaViD Boulet
    will actually buy a projector? Nahhhhhhhhhhh.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Just a question here...I am gettin an HDTV...now whenever these HD-DVD's come out...I will be able to watch them right...theres not gonna be any special cords or anything?

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

16. Tom Pfarr

Tom Pfarr Agent

From David:

17. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

19. Jeff Kleist

20. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

That's why you get extended warrantees from Circuit City. That way when your HDTV with inferior connections breaks and they can't fix it, they'll have to replace it with a new one with the newest interface. [​IMG]

Still, there will be plenty of P.O.'d consumers if and when you can't get HD off a HD-DVD through component output. Then again, it's the price you pay for being an early adopter I suppose. I just hope if I need a new set due to connections by the time HD-DVD is a reality that they are a LOT cheaper. Mine was half what it cost originally, but I'd like to see them had for less than half of that. Not sure that will happen though, at least not with tube sets. (Their numbers are dwindling anyway) In 5 + years time I've seen an RCA 35" tube 4:3 model drop from $849 to $749 at Wal-Mart. Of course, now they call it a 36".
    There's always the hope that Front Projection will get affordable and Plasmas will get cheaper with higher quality.