What's new

1080p Front Projectors (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Thats something I've been wondering about with some of these smaller screens. Especially on something like the 42 inch screens that Hitachi and others are selling. How much difference can you really tell between 720p and 1080p? More to the point, how big does the screen really need to be before a perceptible difference is easily discernable??

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i believe at 70"+ you can see a discernible difference between the two. it's fairly obvious on my front projector =).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

It all depends on screen size and how far back you are sitting from that screen, as well as projector type (LCoS, DLP, LCD, etc). I notice it more on the plasma/LCDs--probably because it is easier to see the pixals on LCD and they are smaller on the 1080P panel.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I appreciate the honesty Adam you and RAF have shown regarding these projectors. With all the excitement of seeing Sony's Pearl and the other 1080p units, it would be easy and kind of human nature to over due the quality of these and downgrade the lesser spec'd 720p units. And it probably is the setup in some way.

Still, that's encouraging to know that especially in the good 720p market and above, Front Projection really, really can produce hauntingly good images for the consumer at prices all over the map.

It's really a great time to be an enthusiast in this market. Just need more $$ to make it more fun. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

:laugh:
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
:laugh:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
We are finally getting around to getting a great image to go with our great sound at an affordable price. I saw some really good looking 720p images from the Infocus camp that I would be more than happy to have in my HT. The image quality was fantastic.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks RAF & Parker....this has been perhaps the most educational and enlightening thread in awhile for me...and it's a fairly short thread too. I know I speak for alot of people seriously looking into the FP market and you guys at CEDIA have been extremely helpul with on site insight. :)

RAF, can't wait to read your detailed report on your CEDIA experience etc....

Again, most thanks :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just watched the video u CEDIA guys uploaded. Great stuff!

I am just salivating over the # of choices we have. I really shouldn't be surprised....anything great or revolutionary always gets more affordable...and in the case of top quality FPs this is now very very true.

Looks like Optoma has replaced their highly regarded HD72 with the HD73...that now uses the TI Dark Chip3. MSRP is $1800. That price was the sale price for the 72 model. :)

Panasonic improving their highly regarded 900u LCD unit with the AX100. More contrast, sharper image, and other stuff I can't remember. Price point will be about the same as it was for the 900u which remains a steal. Then they revealed their 1080p unit. No $$ was mentioned but I got this giddy feeling all over when I saw it on the video.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Have to admit the Sony Pearl 1080p projector is very sexy looking. Elegant and sexy. Gosh, I really am a HT geek. :crazy: :D

Not everyone has the room or lifestyle for front projection. Having owned 2 in the past, it is a change for one's viewing habits. Having said that, nothing-I mean NOTHING gives me and my buds more of a cinema WOW factor than a front projector.

With my next Club Timobi Wan...which I hope to slowly re-build (gear first, then the decor!)...will be more electronically hip. One thing for sure, it will include at least a top notch 720p projector.

Thanks to all here for the great CEDIA information. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I just want to second Tim's comments above. You guys have done an outstanding job passing along all the sights and sounds from CEDIA. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the work and late night postings.

So again, thank you!!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Thanks to both of you (and to the many other members who have commented on this section). We will be posting a lot more once back home. I took the "sane" approach and decided to stay in town an extra day to avoid the crunch at the airport, etc. I plan to use some of this time to set up a series of threads here to introduce a bunch of topics (mostly hardware related) for your consideration. I'll make some introductory remarks and then throw it out for general discussion by the membership. Some will be obvious, but a couple might offer things you might not be familiar with.

Just be aware that the "high speed" connection here at the hotel is somewhat short of what I'm used to back home (I've become spoiled with my 20Megabit Verizon FIOS connection). This means that while I'll "seed" this section with various topics it will probably be a couple of days before I'm able to answer any questions raised. And I'm sure that other HTF staff members who were at CEDIA will be adding their own personal perspectives. There are a lot of places where you can get the general CEDIA information (and we link to several of those) but the personalized responses to our members are what we pride ourselves on.

Stay tuned....

Now that the show has ended I'd rather do it right than do it fast.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This report is from ProjectorReviews.com:

This guy is very FP savvy and I like his reviews: Here's the actual link to his CEDIA report (well worth the read) and a few snippetts:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Home...mCEDIA2006.asp

In that link he has links for his 720p CEDIA report and a link for 1080p CEDIA stuff...

The 1080p summary is a longer one so I'll let you all read that. :) Give it a look as there's plenty of top notch FP options for us whether it be 720p or 1080p.

:)

Nikki M

Grip
Real Name
Nikki M
OK-I'm new to the forum & home theater, and may be posting in the wrong area, so please point me in the right direction!
First, thanks to all of you for your knowledge and willingness to share info. And thanks in advance for any advice.

My husband & I are looking to create our 1st home theater. We were all set to buy the Sharp XV-Z12000 Mark II front projector this week because we have seen it locally, thought it was the best image out of what we have seen & the price has come down to $4900.

Then I started reading this forum, & read about the Sony Pearl. I am trying to find someplace locally that might have one to view. But I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether it would worth waiting for the Pearl to become available, or grab one of the Sharps before they are all gone?

Any input would be great!
Nikki M

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ya gotta wait for another 2-3 months before widespread availability.. or get in line by calling sony themselves =).

Nikki M

Grip
Real Name
Nikki M
Thanks for the reply...but what I'm really trying to figure out is if it's worth waiting for.

There's a local company that has the Sony Ruby on display...anyone know if the Pearl will be comparable to the Ruby visually? (and I realize that much of it is subjective) I've read that the replacement bulb will cost a lot less for the Pearl, and various other specs...but what I'm really interested in is image quality. So if the Pearl looks similar to the Ruby, then we at least could look at it & compare it to the Sharp.

Nikki M

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Pearl and Ruby use different bulb types, so the color saturation won't be identical. Do you already have a screen? That may be a consideration too, as the Pearls on display were shown against a special screen that Stewart developed for them (Firehawk SST)

Nikki M

Grip
Real Name
Nikki M
We don't have anything yet, just a big finished basement. The only advice I have gotten so far is to buy a Stewart screen, that they are the best. We are going 100".

And the basement does have easily accessible crawl space, so running cables won't be too horrible.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Factor in the difference of a firehawk SST vs a Studiotec 130 (or whatever you were planning on using with the Sharp. That will make a difference to the bottom line. Depending on how far away from the screen you are you may not see a difference between 720 and 1080P.

Nikki M

Grip
Real Name
Nikki M
Thanks for the input. I guess the best way to go is to at least look at the Ruby, then go look at the Sharp. Luckily the 2 stores are within a few miles of each other.

As for the price on the Firehawk SST, I haven't been able to find one.

For some reason, I have seen very few reviews/feedback on that Sharp projector. Maybe it's because the MRSP was $10k+??

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Nikki.

Haven't seen that Sharp model but there is a VERY STRONG buzz on the Sony Pearl you are looking at too. Here's a link to a review that Robert F. provided last week. This reviewer did some short comparos to the Ruby too. Looks like the Pearl will be the best display and value in a long time.

Read this review...but I warn you, it's very detailed! :)

http://cine4home.com/reviews/project...VW50Review.htm

I re-read the 1080p CEDIA report again from this site and other online sources. Even though the prices on these are landmark, they are still a bit too much for me right now. The prices on 720p units are extremely competative currently and are delivering top notch images.

Robert F, can't wait to read your 720p and 1080p assessment as you said you talked with others at CEDIA about this very thing. Can't wait. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks