What's new

1066 or 950 THAT much better than Yamaha Rec? (1 Viewer)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V795 Receiver and a Sherbourn amp. I'm moving to seperates and am wondering really, how much difference will I notice in the sound if I move to one of the new pre pro's from Rotel or Outlaw? Would it really be worth another Grand? I only have a 5 channel amp, so to really take advantage of the additional surround formats such as DTS-ES I'd have to purchase an additional amp/monoblocks. Is Music and Home Theater improved so much that I'd have no regrets??

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
That's really only something you can determine on your own.

I'd say the difference would only amount to a 10-15% improvement.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
for movies in 5.1 modes you'll notice some differences but nothing staggering...2 channel music should be noticably different...the question is though is different better for you? If you have a local dealer selling the 1066 maybe borrow it for the night (or buy it and return it if you're not happy with it) Or take Outlaw up on their 30 day trial.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I guess I always assumed that a mid level receiver could be bettered greatly by a low level pre pro or high end receiver. Now that I have an external amp, I wonder if the difference I'd notice would be worth it? And yes, the only way for me to be certain is to try one out..

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
In my mind there are two big differences and a more minor point.

Firstly, analog performance. This is no contest, the 1066/950 will walk all over any Yamaha, period. If you have vinyl, tape or a good CD player, dump the Yamaha pronto.

Secondly, digital performance, I expect the 1066/950 to have much better DAC.

Thirdly and this is very minor for me... the DSP performance of the Yamaha might be good. I doubt I would ever care given dpl2 and the CS surround modes on the 1066/950 but some people like the Yamaha DSP.

All these make a preamp a must over any MOR receiver.

T.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I have Sony's 9000ES DVD/SACD player, and it has a fantastic on board set of components for SACD, or CD listening. I can currently bypass my Receivers decoder and use the Sony's, how would the Rotel make better use of the Sony's SACD playback ability?

As you can see, I'm a newbie when it comes to pre pro stuff!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You won't experience nearly the difference as those who make the complete jump to seperates (pre/pro, and amp) from receivers because you already have made the jump to seperate amplification. I feel (and this is only my opinion) that making the jump to seperate amplification is much better (noticable improvement) than making the jump to a higher end preamp. All this is subject to the type of gear though of course but I'm talking mid level stuff.

You won't hear as much difference as you did when you made the jump to seperate amplification. Give it a shot and if you don't think it's worth the extra cash, take it back and be happy with your yamaha.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
In my experience, and I had a RX-V793 also with outboard amps before my current Sony TA-E9000ES, Yamaha gear is quite well performing. I liked the DSP modes on the Yamaha much better than the Sony. The Yamaha receiver *approached* the quietness of the Sony.
But at least compared to some of the newer stuff, I don't remember the Yamaha having an analog direct path. You might even want to consider some of Yamaha's newer receivers. But that fixed 90 Hz crossover is a problem... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks