100W @ 6 Ohm vs 100W @ 8 Ohm

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TheseusOfAthens, Aug 30, 2013.

1. TheseusOfAthens

TheseusOfAthens New User

Tyler
    Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from a Kenwood VR-401 5.1 A/V Receiver to something more modern. I've

been putting an unnatural amount of research into the latest receivers and I narrowed my selection

down to the Sony STR-DN1040.

This receiver seems to be perfect for me with 7.1 channels, built-in wifi, Airplay, plenty of HDMIs, and

a beautiful on-screen display. The only problem is that the official specs rate it at 165W x 7 @ 8 ohms

1kHz 0.9% THD 1ch. driven while the Kenwood is listed as 100W x 5 @ 8 ohms 20- 20kHz 0.7% THD

2ch.

My 100W 8 Ohm speakers sound beautiful paired with the Kenwood receiver so loosing sound quality

when I upgrade is a HUGE con.

I downloaded the Sony STR-DN1040 manual and it said that the receiver can also run at 100W x 7 @

6 ohms 20- 20kHz 0.9% THD 2ch. I know running this would be better given the frequency range.

The BIG question here is wether or not there's a difference in sound quality running in the 6 Ohm

range vs the 8 Ohm range.

Thanks for the help, hopefully this is going to give me some peace of mind.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The "ohm range" is not a user selectable thing. It is based on the speakers.

Also ohm load is not a constant. It could be 4ohm at 150hz and 12ohm at 10k.

3. TheseusOfAthens

TheseusOfAthens New User

Tyler
    I guess I should rephrase my question.

Does a receiver that uses the 100W @ 8 Ohms spec sound better than a receiver using the 100W @ 6 Ohms spec?

Is the difference in sound quality so minute that it doesn't make a difference?

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    How a manufacture calculates(or, misrepresents) their power is meaningless in terms of sound quality. It is nothing more than how much power is there.

Your speakers themselves determine 90% of everything sound related.

It also helps to know how power and volume work. As "total power" is typically meaningless.

A speaker that produces 92db of sound at 1 watt...

Requires around 1/8th of 1 watt to produce enough volume to hear it(typical general listening is done around 85db)

"Rocking out" is around 95 db. So you are sending 2 watts to your speakers.

Annoying your neighbors and making yourself go deaf is 100db. Which would require around 8 watts.

Adjust those numbers as you need for various inefficient speakers(as low as 85db) and super efficient speakers(95db and above).

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Bottom line...how a manufacturer decides to rate their receivers power outpt (4 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm, whatever) has nothing to do with how your speakers will sound.

A receivers SQ has more to do with it's DAC's, DSP chip and the quality of it's amp section (as well as an room crrection software). Nothing wrong with vintage gear. I just sold an Adcom GFR-700. Massive power supply (168 x 5 @ 8 ohms) and very sweet sounding but very basic by todays standards and difficult to live with. But I miss it already.

6. Mr645

Mr645 Stunt Coordinator

Jon
    Botton line is that neither receiver will come close to delivering 100 wpc under normal conditions.

Theoretically the amp that can deliver 100 wpc into 8 ohm will be slightly more powerful then one that can only deliver 100 watts into a 6 ohm load. However power has little to do with sound quality.

Manufacturers do things like rate it at 1khz instead of a full 20-20k range, or allow up to .9% THD in this case instead of a typical .01%

100 wpc 2 channels driven into 6 ohm at 1khz is like measuring the top speed of a car, going down a hill, with a strong tail wind

I am not familiar with the Sony STR-DN1040 in any way, but I am guessing that at $600 they seem to be selling for, you can do a lot better.