1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Discussion in 'Music' started by Russell G, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Hey music fans! I thought I'd be bold and post a link here. I've started a listening project, listening to all 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as published in the 2005 edition. This is a follow up to a project I did a few years ago where I listened to all 500 of Rolling Stone Magazines Top 500 Albums of all time. I'm blogging my thoughts on the titles as I go through them. Since the HTF is full of knowledgeable folk, I thought I'd link it here. Feel free to comment, encourage, discourage, disparage, join in, ignore at your leisure! :D

http://ruzzellsrambles.blogspot.com/2010/06/1001-albums-you-must-hear-before-you.html

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Russell,

I scanned the first TEN titles, looks like good selections.

The white (and some red) print on a BLACK background is actually painful for me to read, so, as much as I love this topic...I'm done.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Hey Henry,

I just bunnged that up using a default template. I chose a new template, let me know if it's easier to read. :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Russell, much easier to read. Don't know how much I'll participate; as we all have our pursuits - but sounds like a lot of fun.

- Walter.

5. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    I think this is a worthy endeavor. I own at least 6 of the top ten you have listed thus far and I may attempt to shadow you on this. Any Ween on there?

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Hey thanks guys.

Sadly ChristopherG, it looks like another best of type list with no Ween. If it was up to me, "The Pod", "Pure Guava" and "Chocolate and Cheese" would be on it for sure. They're my favourite band. :)

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

WEEN are brilliant. They can emulate any style of music perfectly. On any given album, they may sound like The Beatles, Motorhead, Merle Haggard, or even Jimmy Buffet.

The first time I heard Chocolate and Cheese, I was blown away.

8. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Russell,

Do you have a link to the master list, or are you going through a book? I would love to peruse the whole list, but I doubt some of my favorites make the list either.

My #1 of all-time is still Faith No More's "Angel Dust", but I'm sure some of my favorites will make it, like Talking Heads "Remain in Light",

9. Celie

Celie Auditioning

Hi guys, the whole list would be interesting but would it be too daunting? Who has enough time? Breakfast, bath, lunch and dinner I suppose.

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Thought I'd pat myself on the back and let everyone (no one) know that I've hit 400 Albums this past Monday. Yup, I'm still trucking along, the list in into 1978 now. Still mostly enjoying it, but man, I'm sure finding out what I don't like!

601 to go! ZZZRRROOOOM!

http://ruzzellsrambles.blogspot.com/2011/05/1001-albums-0391-0400-400-albums-heard.html

11. johnandrews101

johnandrews101 Auditioning

12. jim1987

jim1987 Auditioning

Wow.Its a great information to share buddy.I am now quit sure that I will not die before listening those albums.but its a huge list i hope.So I will die late for sure.lolz.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Thanks ha ha. It's a daunting list, but I can average 2 albums a day usually with my work commute. So it's not too bad. I miss listening to music I like though!