What's new

1 more sub "what would you get"? (1 Viewer)

Revenoor

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello to all, I have finally received the blessing from the family CFO to update my sub. My sig has the hardware list that I mainly use in this 14 x 24 x 8' finished basement room. The room can be closed off from all others. Use of room is 75% HDTV/DVD and 25% music CD/vinyl. Depending on the mood it be anywhere from 75-100db. Due to dealer choice and budget constraints I am limited to the following 3 subwoofers: one Velodyne DD-12 or one SVS PB12-Plus/2 or 2 HSU VTF3 MK3s (non-turbo). I can not audition any of these except to use the 30-45 days all bets off return on all 3 of these subs. I can't have them here all at once. I guess I am looking for anyone of ya'll that may have been fortunate enough to have heard at least 2 of the 3 to compare the following qualities: HT use to musicallity (is that a word), tight sharp bass vs non-distinct muddled sounds and SPL. 'preciate any insight you may have.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike

You really can't have the best musicality and the greatest volume at the same time...for sound quality, the Velo would be my first choice...the best compromise would be 2 HSU VTF-3MKIII...or for even less money...one HSU VTF-3MKIII plus the HSU Mid Bass Module (MBM) would have significant impact at the listening position using the MBM in near-field placement...at the recent Las Vegas High End Show, people were coming back to the HSU demo because the impact of the MBM and other HSU speakers was so impressive...I have two HSU VTF-3HO + Turbos and I can't begin to use their full capacity.

Happy New Year

PS If I was going to spend >$6,000, I would get 2 Velo DD-18's, but HSU delivers excellent bang for the buck.

PPS Two HSU has more cabinet volume than 1 SVS PB-12/Plus 2, and is more easily placed and easier to move around.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Another option around that same price would be to get two of the SVS SB12-Plus sealed subs. These should be more "musical" than the PB12-Plus.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I second that. I am considering trying out one or two of those. Due to the sealed design I am sure it would be a little more accurate and tighter sounding than my PB12-NSD.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had a chance to compare the SB12-Plus and PB12-NSD head-to-head a few months ago, and much to my surprise, the SB wasn’t tighter or more musical in my room. In fact I couldn’t tell them apart, sound-quality wise. However, the PB12 was louder and had better extension, as you’d expect from a larger, ported sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That's because, IMHO, the easily measured lack of lower extension of most sealed subs has morphed via internet/audiophile speak into unqualifiable, unquantifiable terms like "tight and more musical". ;)

Revenoor

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks all, my head hurts...Now let's figure in the sub eq with this. SMS-1? oops, now over budget would have to lower the cost of sub or go with one HSU + MBM + SMS 1 (hear that the MBM can be a tiger to tame integration wise) or perhaps go with the REW/BFD for $100 or so.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer
If only 25% for music, then I wold be looking to get the best subwoofer for the other 75% movies.

The PB12-Plus/2 would be incredible in your size room. And at the volumes you claim it would handle it with out a sweat.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks