What's new

'05 Subaru Outback Wagon XT (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody have any juicy info on the upcoming Subaru Outback XT wagon with the 2.5i I6? Supposedly the Subaru is taking alot of flak for classifying it as a "light truck" for CAFE purposes but it looks like a great wagon, has 8.4inches of clearence which is the same as the '04 Baja Turbo with an ~250hp 6 cyclinder engine in it. I've heard a spring '04 release. I can buy one at invoice through IMBA, thinking of replacing my E36 BMW with something more woods friendly and has the ground clearence to drive into unplowed snowy trailheads...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Aarrrgghh, no pricing, that's the kicker, wondering how much more are they going to charge for the new models as opposed to the less powerful '04 Outback Wagon H-6 6cyl. which is about ~$25 invoice. I presume it'll be more but the need-desire.com website says pricing to come...

Jay

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
Inline 6 or horizonal 6? Either way, thats a huge(and expensive) step from an H4. Most manufactures go toward the V6.

per this link, says 2.5l H4 turbo or 3L H6. imagine boosting a H6(think porsche turbo :) )

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
It's a H6, sorry for the misprint. I've received two emails from two diff. Sub dealers near me, they're saying anywhere from end of April to June shipments with brochures being available at the end of march. Pricing will probably be announce in April.

I like how they reduced some of the bulbous looking plastic siding that was a bit too prominent (IMO) on the current generation of Outback wagons (And really prominent on the Bajas)...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I got a chance to see the '05i (not the turbo) at the local subaru dealer.. I'm about eye level with the rack so it would look like I would still need a small bench to get my kayak up on J-carriers there... The 2.5XT (and 3.0R) has 17" wheels versus the 16" in the base 2.5i model, but that is only like a 1/2 inch in height or so...

I didn't test drive it cause I was busy and I want to test drive the 2.5XT. The MSRP on the base 2.5i there was about $25k, whereas I think the invoice of the 25.XT should be around $26 with options via the VIP program and IMBA or ACA.

Looks nice, got some weird high mounted reverse lights. I have to see what kind of adaptors I need to use my Thule bike/kayak carriers to the factory rack too...

The guy said that they should have an XT model within the next 10 days or so...

Jay

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The 2.5 and the 3.0 are outstanding engines. I have a Forester XT with the same 2.5 turbo and it's wonderfully tractable. If you've driven the Saab 2.5 turbo you'll immediately notice the similarities. Both engines love to fly. The H6 is buttah. Super smooth! The horizontally opposed configuration of both engines has a lot of benefits including naturally balanced harmonics, no torque steer, and next to no body lean in corners but it has suffered from a slight lack of torque in the midrange. Regearing and some improvements in the engine should alleviate that. The H6 is a wonderful cruiser. Don't be remotely surprised if the H6 puts out a more power than Subaru rates. When the Forester XT came out Subaru pegged it at 225hp but a completely stock car put on a dyno comes in at 250hp. What they seriously understated was the 300 lb ft. of torque.

The Forester XT does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. The new Legacy/Outbacks should do close with the 2.5.

This latest crop of Subarus is completely eye-opening. Subaru is pushing performance these days and now that Saab is but a hollow shell of its former self, Subaru is about the only place to find practical but wickedly fun (and slightly weird) cars. I love mine (as if you can't tell :D ).

Take a look over at The North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club. It's NOT just Imprezas and lots of people in and around Subaru, from tuners to employees to racers hang out there. You'll get the poop on the new Legacies there before any place else. You can also find good information on dealers in the regional forums. Take a look around.

Subaru is a great product and their all wheel drive system is top notch. It's a great vehicle for cold or snow climate conditions. That said, I really like European cars for family vehicles. If I was going to get a wagon, my choice would be for a BMW or Audi Wagon.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I considered the turbo Baja too, but I think I like the more conservative Outback and it's nice long roofline. (For when I get that 17' kayak... heh heh hee.. ;) )

I left some voice mail with the salemen so when he gets an 2.5XT, I can go for a test drive..

Jay

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Subarus are nice cars. Here's a link to the "Ultimate Subaru Message Board" . I recently bought a 2004 Legacy wagon and I'm very happy with it. The 2.5 is problematic, I would not buy a car with a turbo version of that engine. I almost didn't buy my Leagacy because of it.

If you're not caught up in the anticipation of a "new model" vehicle, take a look at the incentives and prices on holdover 2004 models. The prices are outrageous. You can get a H6 Outback 35th Anniversary for less than the 2005 2.5 will cost probably. If you value function over form it's worth considering.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I get invoice via the Subaru's VIP program via IMBA, the Int. Mountain Biking Association. You also get that via ACA (American Canoe Association) too but I've been an IMBA member since '97. Yeah, I did see all the '04 incentive programs. The '05s are arriving so obviously they are trying to clear inventory.

Jay

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Does anybody have any good links explaining what some of the engine terminology means? Or anybody here want to explain it to me?

Like, what's the difference between inline and horizontal? Why is horizontal better than V?

If I get an Outback, should I definitely spring for a 6 cylinder?

All I know is that my current car is a 2.2L 4 cylinder. I'm not positive what the HP is but it's low and it blows chunks. I want something that has some oomph so I don't feel like I'm gonna get plowed merging onto the freeway.

Now, obviously cylinders and engine size play into HP. For my application, what is most important? I mean, should I pay most attention to number of cylinders and their configuration, the liters, or the raw horsepower? Or is it simply a combination thereof?

Sorry for the dumb questions. . .this is all very new to me. If anybody know of any sites for newbs that would be awesome. Ya know, similar to the widescreen vs fullscreen demos? LOL

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Leila, I'm not an expert as some of the folks here, but the 4cylinder 2.5XT has an turbo (and intercooler) on it so it's not the same as any old 4cyclinder that you may be used to. Going by the raw numbers, it generates 250hp@6000 RPM so it's no slouch.

inline versus v would indicate that the cylinders are arranged in a straight line, versus the V where the cylinders are arranged in a "v" pattern with an angle between them when looked at from the front of the engine.

A horizontal or Boxer engine is where the cyclinders are arranged in a flat plan with the cyclinders facing each other , of course around the crankshaft, thereby the cyclinders as they go through their revolution are "boxing" each other, hence the boxer name. Also known as an H6 as opposed to an inline-6 of I6 as opposed to a V6.

A H6 engine will have a lower profile than a V6, thereby allowing for a lower center of gravity, a lower roofline, making handing better, if not by much. Inline-6s are generally known for being very smooth. BMWs use I6s alot
and they are certainly one sweet 6 cyclinder engine. There
are definitely small differences with smoothness, weight, profile between the different kinds but that might mean more for racers and stuff than everyday driving.. Power at the wheels is what matters the most and all the types of engines
spin the crankshaft and provide power to the wheels, they just go about it in different ways.

This is a great sight that I got from Philip's link about the '05 Subarus:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outbac...ml#mechanicals

I don't think you will find the 2.5L turbo or the H6 slow, but obviously the gas mileage and gas requirements for turbos will be evident. Turbos generally need higher octane gas to run efficiently so calculate cost there and get less mileage than non-turbos.

Jay

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My 2004 Legacy was about $2500 under invoice, and the incentives are more rigorous now. They are losing money on these in order to get them out the door and make room for the new 2005s.

The 2005s are darn cool though, the Legacy GT is really special.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

The 2.5 turbo used in the XT models is a new engine despite being the same displacement. The new turbo 2.5 is shared by the XT and STi and has not had the head gasket issue though it is less than 2 years old.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The difference between the Limited and the base XT is like ~$2700 and only includes:

Leather interior, perforated
Dual Pane sunroof
Power driver's seat, 8 way

The only thing that is neet is the dual pane "sunroof". It's got two moonroofs actually with the front one being a short, perhaps 6 inch long one that you can tilt up. However, behind the front moonroof, it extends another distance and you can slide both moonroofs back for a huge canopy over you. It's really neet but $2700??? Seems steep just for leather and the power driver's seat. I could live without both and just take the sunroof...

Jay

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I saw one of these on the road the other day with Manufacturers plates. I'm not sure I'm real keen on the looks.

Users who are viewing this thread