What's new

007 boxes 2 and 3 (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Can't believe this slipped under my radar. Volumes 2 and 3 of the 007 boxes are being re-released on Tuesday of next week. There was a huge fanfair around the last set, why so little here?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps because we know MGM is finally rolling out restored and remixed versions of the Bond franchise some time soon.

The current classic Bond DVD's leave a lot to be desired.

Dan

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I personally can't wait to get the last four films I need to complete my set. I know the picture quality on some of these isn't that great, but the extras are fantastic. I don't see myself upgrading until HD-DVD versions come along.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Can't believe this slipped under my radar. Volumes 2 and 3 of the 007 boxes are being re-released on Tuesday of next week. There was a huge fanfair around the last set, why so little here?
Wasn't last year's release designed to tie-in with the theatrical release of Die Another Day? It would seem like MGM put a huge push behind the brand to get people to the theater and buy the other movies. Now, they know there's no mega money at the BO to be made.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Seems like every store in town has Vol. 2 and 3 on the shelves today... a week early!!

I want to pick them up, but will have to wait until later in the week...

HankM

Second Unit
I need Thunderball, Diamonds Are Forever, For Your Eyes Only. Every website I checked out has only the boxes for sale.

:frowning:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's because MGM thought they were being slick and decided to mix up the movies found in each of the boxsets so you couldn't just buy the ones you didn't already have, from the first release from way-back-when. Nice way to treat your customers!

:angry: :angry:

That said... the Bond DVDs are fine. I am not going to be buying any DVD "remaster" versions.

Michael_EC

Stunt Coordinator
Nice way to treat your customers!
I agree. I'm pretty surprised that MGM would do this. I don't have one of my favourite Bonds yet (From Russia With Love) but I don't want to buy a box that includes a couple movies I already own just to get it.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know the remixes are still being worked on by Mi Casa Studios. Perhaps MGM dug around and found the original stereo score recordings (must have since they are on CD) and sound effects/dialog stems in order to make the 5.1 remasters.

Now I don't know if MGM hired out for the negatives to be rescued (desperately needed) via a 2k or 4k ultra digital dupe and cleanup process (so they can be shown again in theaters at some point like Alien) or if these are purely HD digital video restorations like WB's North By Northwest where the negatives are left to rot.

I'd assume they'd want to tie these new, improved versions in with the next (presumably Brosnan's last) Bond flick.

Dan

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I can fully understand that having 5.1 versions of these would be great, but I can't see too much wrong with the picture quality (and I'm usually quite picky)...

Although, as an avid Bond-fan, and an owner of the three original box-sets, I have to ask whether or not they're going to put more extras onto these? After all, how can you improve on perfection?!

(The makers of the Indiana Jones Trilogy DVDs should take a long, hard look at the Bond documentaries and hang their heads in shame.)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The current Bond DVD's are great. Great pictures and sound transfers that accurately reflect the Bond films. New 5.1 tracks for the mono films are not needed. I don't even care for the new mix on Thunderball. And the John Cork produced extras are a class act, all the way. I can't see these being improved.

Neil

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
I actually called mgm and asked about individual releases and she said no, but maybe early next year. She was not cetain and they are only re doing the mono bonds only, from what I heard.

I only need three movies, so I am pissed because last year they were available individually. Why they are not this time is puzzling

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I don't have any Bond movies for some unknown reason as I like many of the films. I was going to just buy the ones I like individually, but Best Buy is running a deal next week where all sets are $85, plus you get $50 off for buying all 3 together. That brings it to about $10 a disc. Since most of them are $15 individually I figured I'll just get them all for roughly the same price. Guess I'll make the decision when I actually can look at them in person.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sounds to me like a plan, if you can get ALL for the same price as cherry-picking, you might as well!

Seriously, even if you don't necessarily care for a particular movie, the featurette that is not specific to that movie will be of interest. And if you're a Bond fan anyway, don't you want the cachet of being able to say, "yes, I have all of them"? :D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I cannot for the life of me see how any of you can think (especially) the classic Bond films look great??? The compression jobs are lousy, there are numerous scratches, dust, dirt, bad color timing, bad splices, film bob 'n' weave, loused up subtitles, missing dialog, etc.

Do you just not care about the classic James Bonds anymore, or do you all need glasses?? :eek:

Dan

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I'm not generally very picky about picture quality, but even I've noticed a few issues with some of the earlier films. That being said, I don't think they are big enough problems to justify uprading to a remastered release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks