What's new

¿What do you think are the best Subwoofer in the 500-1000$ price range? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
At any given price point it will always be pretty much impossible to do better than what you can build yourself. The internet and the drivers that are available make this very easy to do. But not everyone can do this.
Commercially my pick would be the PC+ from SVS. Will be tough to beat at it's price point.
Link Removed or Link Removed can both costum build you subs the same as you can build yourself (unless you got skills they just tend to do a much better job on the finishes). They should be able to match or best a PC+ at a similar price point.

Clint Roberts

Auditioning
You got three choices...DIY (not for me just because I don't want to build...it would end up costing me more (no tools) or look really bad), SVS with the PC+ coming out (or the CS Plus with separate amp-available now), or the HSU VTF-3 for $850 delivered. I own the VTF-3. Buy from www.av123.com. HSU also has a VTF-2 for $450 just a FYI. There are numerous comparison between the SVS and VTF-3. They seem to be about equal based on the many reviews I've seen. Now the real comparison will come out with PC+ availability against the VTF-3 (already available). Also you must consider size/shape, the VTF-3 is a rectangular box and the SVS is a tall cylinder.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
What are your requirements for the sub? For example:

- How large is the room you are placing it in?

- Do you already have a dedicated amp to use with the sub, or do you need a self-amplified sub?

- Are there size restrictions on how big of a sub you are willing to use? Both from an aesthetics and space standpoint.

- What is your existing system and speaker setup? I love my SVS PCi 25-31 and am very pleased with it, but if you are pairing it with a minicomponent stereo running 2 25w speakers, then obviously it's going to be massive overkill.

Rich

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
While I do agree somewhat with Richard, the point of toys is to always upgrade. Wait, I didn't write that did I? :b
Anyways, at the price you are looking at, you will have a hard time finding better than the SVS, though I have no experience with the HSU's. Needless to say, my advice is to check and see if someone in your area has a SVS PCi or a PC+ which you can check out. You might just find yourself surprised by the bass:D . You might check with Tom and or Ron at SVS to see if they have sold any units within Spain. Not that the guys from SVS will give out a buyer's email, but they may just put you in touch, so the buyer, if they are so inclined, can drop you a line, and set up an audition.
There is also a web site dedicated to demoing the SVS's, though the address is beyond me.
ciao Sra.
Sanford

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd spend the $1000 on an SVS, Velodyne, HSU, Adire, or M&K subwoofer if I went commercial.
But I don't eat 39 cent hamburgers and I also don't buy commercial subwoofers. :)
I'd get 2 Tempests for $300 in a vented enclosure. Add an amp or two and it sShould still be under $1000 even with the cost of MDF sheets. (Of course someone has to build the enclosures)
Or I'd get a single Brahma 15" and do research on Contrabass and horn enclosures.
Or I'd wait for the new 15" high excursion HT driver from Adire Audio and get 2 of them.
Reason to buy 2 subs is not just for more bass, but so that you can position them with your mains and the listening position so that all the modes are canceled out/avoided except for a single second-order length mode. I've been researching and witnessed professional installations where dual subs are setup like this. It's amazing how messed up the bass gets with a single sub in a corner with no EQ.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
What is the best way to ship things to Spain, as far as cost concerns are that is? Are there other factors like tariffs, taxes, duties, etc? How is the exchange rate?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone ever truly paired the SVS subs with a high end or a fairly high end amp? If so, what are the results compared to the cheaper pro amps.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
SVS. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every mothaf***er in the room.. accept no substitutes. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sandra B.

Grip
The room is a medium sized one (not measured)
Receiver: Yamaha RXV-1200
Mains and center: JBL S310II
Surround and rear center: S36II
In some local stores told me that the JBL S120PII will be
the choice, but finally im going for one of these SVS ;)
Thanks Everyone

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
After you get the SVS take it by the store and have the salesman demo it next to the S120. You'll get to have a good laugh when you see the expression on his face.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Sandra, have you read the review where a customer actually did this? It included a bet with the store owner that if the SVS won in blind testing he would get a CD changer at 1/2 price :)
And this was the original 20-39PC (the old driver no where near as capable as the plus driver, and the old 190W amp).
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews_sunfire.htm

Sandra B.

Grip
Ok, i have spent a good half hour looking svsubwoofers.com.
Questions for those of you that know these subs:
1) ¿Its the CS Plus series a lot better than the PCi series?
2) ¿Its worth the money to purchase the Better Cables Interconnect upgrade? (I think that yes)
3) ¿Medium or Large cylinder? ¿Its the frecuency response the only difference?
3) Medium sized room, but i love thunderous bass very much, ¿I extend my budget and buy two of them?
Questions, questions...
:confused:

Mark KU

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Hi Sandra, here's some answers for your questions. I'll start by saying I own dual 20-39CS subs tuned to 18.
1. The CS Plus series has the plus series driver in it, but requires you to have a seperate amp to power it. The PCi has the SVS improved driver and a built-in BASH amp I believe. The upcoming PC+ will have the newest driver and an even bigger amp.
2. It's probably worth upgrading to.
3. The enclosure size does change the frequency response. However, if you want a smaller tube, you can request it to be custom tuned. Like I believe they can tune the 25-31 series down to 22hz, and the 20-39 series down to 18 (like mine). Lets you get a little more extension at the cost of a few DBs output, but you can keep the enclosure size down.
I might be a little off on the first question, but I'm sure someone will correct me. Regardless of the choice, you'd be happy with your Sub.
Mark
Edit - missed your last question about 1 or 2 subs. your best bet is to email Ron or Tom at [email protected]. Give them the dimensions of your room and they'll let you know what they recommend you get for the level of bass you want. They'll even give you recommendations on placement. They're very friendly and you'll probably get a response in hours instead of days.

Users who are viewing this thread